1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTSD: Beyond The Battlefield

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, May 29, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Skip the first 2,000 words. The argument begins where he points out that half the US Army’s Iraq and Afghanistan vets have applied for permanent disability; of whom one-third have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder; yet only one-tenth of troops see combat. What’s going on?

According to Junger, they aren’t all faking it. Soldiers love active service, war included. It’s the return home that traumatises them.

PTSD: The War Disorder That Goes Far Beyond the Battlefield | Vanity Fair

cmhbob likes this.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I get a tad uncomfortable when people say that to me. And it's usually uttered by those who would never, ever think of serving. I don't know what's worse. The idiotic pacifist who bad mouth's the military as baby killers, or the wannabe moron who thanks you for your service, but would make every excuse possible to avoid it themselves for whatever reason.

I've been retired for over 16 years now and there are days where I still miss it.

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

PTSD isn't about the event, it's the perception of the event.

As a Mental Health First Aid instructor, One of the subjects I talk about is PTSD and other anxiety disorders. In a video, one of the people interviewed about PTSD talked about an accident that she was involved in. She was not even injured, yet she relives the event in vivid flashbacks.

The skills one learns to live and prosper here are totally different from those you need to survive in a combat zone. It really doesn't matter if you are directly involved in combat operations or not.

In SW Asia, there are no "front lines." There are no "safe zones." You have to be hyper-vigilant all of the time. Every interaction with a local is a hazardous undertaking. You don't know if they are a supporter, neutral, spotter or suicide bomber. Every clump of newly turned earth could be an IED. You never know when a mortar will land next to you.

That kind of hyper-vigilance wears you down after a while. It eventually displaces our "normal" "survivor skills" here.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think I bought drinks for a bunch of sailors once, years ago.
    That's about it.

Last week I came out of class during Fleet Week and some 8 of them were walking and they started asking us where is this and where is that and we obliged. Never in my head did I think of "thank you for your service" not because I am not thankful for the military personnel, I was never comfortable saying it. It just didn't feel right. Who am I to thank them for something like that?