1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Hacked

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by cmhbob, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

This one is big: two groups have figured out Sony's private signing key. One group figured out part of it. The other guy actually extracted the entire master key - and has published it online.

Apparently they used a constant where it was supposed to be random, or the same seed every time the created the random. I'm not clear. But it looks like it's been done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12116051

2. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

In an entirely unrelated note Kaspersky announces a new PS3 edition of their anti-virus product.......

(Sorry still hate that company for issuing tons of fake virus warnings back in 99/00 to get free advertising using the media.)

1 person likes this.
  3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

And right on cue, Sony has sued George Hotz, saying posting the code to crack the PlayStation 3 was a breach of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act’s anti-circumvention provisions.

Threat Level points out that jailbreaking an iPhone is not illegal under the DMCA and seems to think that exception covers Hotz.

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Very lazy. Lawrence Waterhouse would have cracked that over breakfast. :D