1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Propaganda, get your propaganda here!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Dec 17, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

<small>As quoted from the article,</small>
    "WASHINGTON (AP) Pentagon officials are debating whether to use the military to conduct covert propaganda operations in allied nations, ten months after disbanding a controversial office that had the same goal."

I'm always impressed when I hear the word covert.

"A previous Pentagon program aimed at winning hearts and minds overseas died quickly last February when Rumsfeld ordered the shutting of the short-lived Office of Strategic Influence. It was created after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on America to centralize information operations, such as spreading messages on a battlefield by leaflet or through airborne broadcasts, officials said.

Subtle, as you all know, I love subtle!

"Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld is said to oppose using the military for a new array of such responsibilities, though he believes the U.S. government has not done a good job of educating the world about American goals and policies."

And he's got hard data to back his skepticism up.

"In a broad international survey released early this month, the Pew Global Attitudes Project found that the United States is falling out of favor in 19 of 27 countries where a trend could be identified.

The dislike was especially striking in Muslim countries. Seventy-five percent of those surveyed in Jordan had an unfavorable opinion of America, as did 69 percent of Egyptians and Pakistanis, for instance."

And all this time I thought the administration didn't know what was going on. They were obviously waiting for all the studies and surveys to come in. I like people who make informed decisions!

Read all about it here.

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You're not discounting the value of propaganda, are you? After all, it was quite effective for Hitler and also kept the Soviet Union in power for the better part of a century.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

While both Hitler and Stalin's minions used propoganda, I believe that what really kept them in power was their willingness to ruthlessly kill all actual or potential opponents. Same thing that keeps Saddam in power now.

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

No, I was not discounting the value of propaganda. I was hoping for something a little more effective that a voice with all the fidelity of a McDonald's Drive "Thru" intercom blaring from beneath a helicopter or carpet bombing the landscape with cheesy three-fold flyers.

That ought to change their minds!

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am wondering why the contempt with a decision you agree with? I don't think releasing the latest figures means they did not know this all along. Could it be we are not reading the news with an open mind?

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Information is the ultimate weapon. I strongly believe this. I personally don't mind the US trying to make its case abroad, but covert propoganda is morally wrong. Besides any idiot who knows how to decently use the internet won't be affected by this. The only people that this can affect are the "dittoheads" who just go with what's popular and cool at the time.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I read nothing that inicated we were not going to tell the truth. I read we were trying to get the truth to where it is not generally available. There are many countries of the world where a large percentage of the population will never own a computer because of poverty. I just don't think the military should be the tool for this.

8. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Shiny,

My contempt is with the mindset that believes an effective way to educate the world is <small>this is quoted directly from the article</small> "as spreading messages on a battlefield by leaflet or through airborne broadcasts" like these people are stupid. Ignorance (as I'm sure you would agree) is not stupidity.

I also take stern disagreement with the <small>again, quoted directly from the article</small> "giving false information to foreign journalists as a means of furthering the U.S. war against terrorism" as if this would endear more people to us.

I did see a glimmer of hope with the statement "paying journalists in European nations to write favorable stories about American policies or secretly financing books or schools to counter radical Islam taught at some of Pakistan's madrassas, or religious schools" until I thought about the likely translation between the concept and the execution.

Basically, if we want these people to like us, lying, littering and screaming at them through bullhorns is a waste of time, resources and money.

Now, if someone had the good sense to finance a viable Radio Free Europe, I am ready to listen.

9. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

The concept of spreading leaflets is similar to taking chicken soup for a cold. It couldn't hurt.

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually, that's already being done. Not that I think it's terribly effective.