1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proof This US Justice System is a FRIGGIN joke

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 6, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Fifty different security cameras, 3 witnesses, and Wynona Ryder is found NOT guilty?

What a jip!

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Ah Celebrities get a pass again, by the way it was OJ-freeing California again.

3. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Just another perk of the 'haves' as opposed to the 'have-nots'.

It has been proven too many times that there is no "Justice for All". Only a fool would believe there is.

4. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

What are you folks talking about? She was charged with three felonies and convicted on two and acquitted on the third.

Being convicted of two felonies is hardly getting off.

She should not have been charged with any felonies--even if she in fact actually did it.

In over a thousand similar cases, (literally), in Sourthern California they were all prosecuted or pled down to misdemeanors. Every single one of them.

She may have commited the acts for which she was charged but she wasn't prosecuted and charged felonies for committing the acts but rather because she was a celebrity.

If she had been poor or Winona Smith we never would have heard of this case and she would have been charged and prosecuted with misdemeanors. In fact if she had been poor people would have been falling all over themselves talking about how she was being persecuted and discriminated against. And they would be right. Just as if they made the same claim about celebrity Winona Ryder.

Remember justice is supposed to be blind. Not in this case.

5. ethics

The jury found her guilty of felony grand theft and vandalism but cleared her of burglary, a count that required proof of advance intent. Intent? Give me a break!

Burglary was the biggie, one thing that would her actually serve time for shoplifting. The vandalism is a joke--prolly paying 5,000 which should not be a problem for her. The felony of grand theft is X amount of hours community work.

I am not aware of CA having shoplifting being excused as a misdemeanors. Here in NYC, anyone caught and convicted would be sitting in jail with a guy named Bubba.

Sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 6, of course, but how much you want to bet she won't serve any time in jail?

6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Well having Winona as a cellmate would certainly make Bubba's "day!"

Yes, that is the way shoflifting prosecutions works out here and therefore she was in my mind discriminated against by the DA Steve Cooley, (who I really like), because in Cooley's successful campaign to unseat the prior DA, Gil Garcetti, one of Cooley's campaign themes was Garcetti, (who IMO was a skunk and incompetent), was too soft on celebrities who committed crimes--of any kind.

Rich, poor, black, white, male, or female we should treat all the same when it comes to arresting and prosecuting--whether on an individual case we like it or not. We absolutely did no such thing with Ryder which is my point.

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Well, one thing California does have is the Three Strikes Law for Career Criminals, if the Supreme Court Allows them to keep it. Poor Ms. Ryder is a third of the way there. From why ethics was saying I thought she got of without any convictions.

8. ethics

Jedi, the laws must differ than quite drastically.

Like I said, in NYC, a felony no doubt. Shoplifiting is one of the more serious crimes out here in the EAst.

By the way, thanks for the explanation on the DA, certainly gives us a different view on the whole issue.