1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product review: Suzy compares and contrasts My Pillow and Tempur-Pedic

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Susan Addams, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

The "My Pillow" has been advertised to hell all over TV. "Call now and we'll give you a second pillow for free and free shipping for $100." You silly rabbit, go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and use your 20% coupons and get them for $40 each. Even with tax you come out ahead, you get instant gratification, you can return them easily if you don't like them... I did that some months ago.

Okay, My Pillow isn't bad. They are basically bags filled with torn off pieces of foam. If you sleep like a robot, arms at your sides, nose pointed straight up, they might be okay for you. But not for me. I sleep curled on my side. My old pillows were tossers anyway. I ended up with clean tossers.

Yesterday I made a return trip to a bed shop that sells Tempur-Pedic and went straight to the bed I've been thinking of buying. I spent the morning on a date for yoga followed by a shopping trip then lunch at WFM. I was already tired so I lay down on my favorite showroom bed and closed my eyes. My salesman Sol came over and started trying to chat me into buying the bed. I was tempted to tell him what SOL stands for, but resisted my impish nature. I rolled over on my side which is how I usually sleep. The pillow felt good. It felt cool and it nicely adjusted to provide my head with even support, no pressure points. The pillow felt strangely cool, soothing.

I asked Sol how much and he named a figure that sounded to me like $200 each after tax for the queen size. Hm... Fitting for a queen? I consider myself a queen. I told Sol he just sold two queen size pillows.

I had a nice chat with Sol while he ran the paper and plastic. I didn't even look at it as I signed. I'll get to reviewing the paper and it will probably show $400 and change for the two queen pillows.

I drifted off on my couch for a bit then up to my bedroom, brush teeth, hit the horizontal. Then I remembered my new pillows. I busted one open and swapped out My Pillow to Posture-Pedic. That's the last thing I remember from yesterday.

My review: Replace a $50 pillow with a $200 pillow? You gotta be kidding me. The Posture-Pedic is easily 4x as good, probably better. Maybe more. There is no comparison. One is a bag full of foam bits, the other is an engineered sleeping system. There isn't any comparison. It's a good thing too because I asked about the return policy and it's "if you are unhappy we can exchange it for something that makes you happy." No refunds. — No problem. The new Posture-Pedic pillow is easily worth 4x My Pillow.

In another topic the question was posed: Will more money make you happy? My Fitbit shows I slept 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep from the time my head hit the pillow until the time the sun came in my window.

The verdict: I totally recommend the Tempur-Pedic "Tempur-Cloud" Breeze Dual Cooling (queen) pillow at just south of $200 retail.

The salesman discussed something about that cooling system. I ignored him. The pillow felt good, supporting, face towards the ceiling or curled up on my side. I think I was playing music when I went to sleep but I don't even remember. I was dead for 5 hours! Well my Fitbit said I got 5 hours of sleep, 30m of REM, 24m of deep, the rest in light. (I had at least an hour nap before going up to bed.)

The salesman had it wrong that the pillow was designed to maximize REM sleep. I didn't bother to correct him that all stages of sleep have important benefits. REM sleep is of course when your brain is filing your short term memory into your long term memory system. It's also called dreaming sleep because that's when you dream. Both light and deep sleep are important stages of sleep. I learned that during my college studies in BA Psych.

I'll have to look into that dual cooling thing. Old SOL sounded like he was saying something but I was tired from shopping (and yoga) and didn't even listen. I'll look into it today, later. He said it was supposed to cool off or heat up your brain to some optimum sleeping temperature. Maybe. All I can tell you is I had a great night's sleep! — Worth it!!! :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Susan Addams

I just saw a My Pillow commercial on TV. Mr. Pillow said, "I personally guarantee that My Pillow will be the most comfortable pillow you will ever sleep on for your entire life."

Okay Mr. Pillow, the Tempur-Pedic is more comfortable. I want my money back!

Actually I don't. I have a guest bedroom. The pillows are older. I'll put the My Pillows in there and throw out the old pillows.

I still have my crushed down pillow I brought from home. It sits between the Tempur-Pedics. It's handy to pound it around a bit and lean my iPad on it so that I can just lie on my side and read.

But anyway I think Mr. Pillow is full of himself. There is a reason the Tempur-Pedic costs 4x what My Pillow costs. Common sense tells us it is likely that a $200 pillow will be better than a $50 pillow.

3. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I use a Tempur-Pedic pillow, just a plain one with no cooling, and it really helps me sleep better.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I can't remember the name of my special pillow. The tag fell off. It's for people with neck problem. One side of it has a hill that slopes down to the middle. The other side has a taller hill sloping down to the middle. It really works for me, and it can be used either flat on your back or on your side.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I don't have it anymore, I asked my bride to make me a pillow. It could have been used as a brick. It was about 4" in diameter, 10" long and it had 2lbs of filling. I loved it.

6. Susan Addams

I am glad that my comments inspired a reaction.

Whatever it is, it isn't My Pillow. He has a good product for people who are living on the cheap. That's all. If you can't wad a blanket under your head then My Pillow is better. If you can afford a blanket wadded under your head then perhaps you should spend some money elsewhere in a more productive manner.

Tempur-Pedic is merely one of the alternatives, a better one than My Pillow, albeit more expensive. In a few short minutes I will be resting my head upon a better alternative than a wad of blankets or My Pillow.

I still haven't researched "the cool."

7. Susan Addams

After yet another night sleeping on my Tempur-Pedic I have discovered a pattern. I'm waking up groggy every day. I must have been sleeping the sleep of the dead.

I think I am sleeping longer. I'm having trouble with my Fitbit. I'll have to call customer service for the second day in a row. It is missing recording some of my sleep.

If anybody wants my pillows they'll have to bring firearms. ;)

8. Susan Addams

Once again I awoke today like a clubbed baby harp seal returned from the dead. I wouldn't describe it as the best feeling, definitely requires a bunch of coffee to cure, but the only thing I changed is my pillows.

My Fitbit is wonky. Once again today I'll call customer service. I believe my body not my Fitbit. My body tells me I did have some periods of fitful sleep but I also know for certain that I did not wake 3 hours before Fitbit says I woke.

The Tempur-Pedic bed I'm shopping costs about $4,000. They said it would last 20 years. Do the math, that's less than a dollar a day. Would you pay a dollar for a good night's sleep? I would, if I could get it consistently.

9. Susan Addams

I visited my Tempur-Pedic again today, just curious what the President's Day sale offered. Of course I'm not in any position to buy a bed, I'm moving in with my BFF and she has a bed in her guest bedroom. My bed is a 5 year old Simmons Beautyrest, and it's already a POS. Obviously I'm going to toss the Simmons in the next couple weeks when I start living with my friend.

So the salesman says, since you have Mr. MyPillow guaranteeing it's the best on TV, why don''t you just return your MyPillows and ask for a refund? I laughed and told him the receipt was long gone!

And then... When I got home my condo has been a bit messy due to my packing up stuff, and there was a receipt in the middle of the floor. Among many. I picked it up. Guess what? It was the one that I used at BB&B to buy MyPillow!

I'm going to take the pillows to BB&B and ask for a refund based upon the manufacturer's advertising! :)