1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem deleting post

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Greg, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

Yesterday I posted in error and decided to use the "delete" button and remove my mistake. However after being asked for a reason (which I supplied) the end result was that the forum software told me it could not delete the post, I believe because I didn't have sufficient privileges.

Tom, could you please this through your sock puppet test account? :)

Alternately, if you don't want to let members delete posts then you should disappear the delete option. Even if you prefer to set the software so that members cannot delete posts they'll just edit their erroneous post to say something like "posted in error," so there's no practical way to force members to not effectively delete posts. Might as well just fix it so they can.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If it was a new thread, you can't delete it. Ask a mod or admin to do so for you. If it was a post within a thread, I just tested and it worked perfectly.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

It was a post within a topic, not a new topic, not the OP. Oh well...

Perhaps it's a browser incompatibility (old version of FF here). Thanks for the test and the reply. :)

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Not sure how many times I have to say this. Older versions of browsers should not be used here. There will come a point to where they won't be supported at all and you won't even be able to view the forums.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm decommissioning this desktop in the next few to several weeks and replacing it with a new Windows 7 laptop. I'm going to store the desktop PC for 6-18 months and maybe never use it again, so I decided to not rock the boat with updating any of my software.