1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prisoner swap - The deserter

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Jun 1, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Who is this "Army Officer"? Why does he outrank Generals?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

He's the presiding officer in the Article 32 hearing. In most cases, command will accept the findings in the report.

They don't have to, but it's rare for the recommendations to be disregarded.

Here's more info via the Army Times:

Lawyer: Officer recommends no jail for Bergdahl

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

Welp....

4. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Ain't this a topsy-turvey world. A Green Beret is given an administrative discharge for kicking the ass of a child molester, while a deserter whom several soldiers died trying to rescue receives no punishment.

I'm at a loss for words, which is rare for me.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

The explanation is very simple. Obama traded 5 big bad hardened Taliban fighters for this one Army deserter.

Only it's politically untenable that the press should point this out, bad for Obama's image. Obama has only one way out. The 5 bad Taliban are gone. Or ISIS, whatever.

The only way it works out for Obama is if Bergdahl turns out to not be a deserter.

The outcome was pre-ordained. Besides, Bergdahl could have been Obama's son... ;)

6. Arc

Arc Full Member

What's transpiring as of this moment is not in the least surprising to those that have followed it from the beginning. From day one of the deserters return via exchange the fix was in. Day one! It was initiated by the WH and trickled on down. The last thing the WH and its lackey's in the Military want is a public trial, (court martial), where all the evidence is submitted. It's unlikely a public court martial will ever happen. This will be settled per recommendation of the article 32 hearing or both sides will "plea bargain" it to a strictly administrative punishment venue.

7. Biker

Oh nice! The Army has disregarded the recommendations and plans to throw the book at him.

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to face charges in court-martial

Allene likes this.
  8. ethics

Interestingly, a hugely popular podcast (Serial) has chosen him as their season 2 topic:

Welcome

This story—it spins out in so many unexpected directions. Because, yes, it’s about Bowe Bergdahl and about one strange decision he made, to leave his post. (And Bergdahl, by the way, is such an interesting and unusual guy, not like anyone I’ve encountered before.) But it’s also about all of the people affected by that decision, and the choices they made. Unlike our story in Season One, this one extends far out into the world. It reaches into swaths of the military, the peace talks to end the war, attempts to rescue other hostages, our Guantanamo policy. What Bergdahl did made me wrestle with things I’d thought I more or less understood, but really didn’t: what it means to be loyal, to be resilient, to be used, to be punished.​

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Interesting read. The case of Bergdahl and “his” story is complex as you allude to and clarified in the article you linked.

However, the first and some would argue the most important issue takes place only between Bergdahl and his fellow soldiers at his post in Afghanistan.

Below are two clips from movies based on real events that overall were pretty accurate to the real events and also captured something real that is hard to explain unless you’ve experienced it.

Bergdahl violated it.

ShinyTop likes this.
  10. Biker

I expect the spin to ramp up in the coming weeks from those that have never served and don't have a clue. Serial will do nothing more than to attempt to muddy the waters.

11. ethics

Who knows. I am not a fan, just the middle man. I listened to the first season and thought it was bollocks and stopped after 2nd one.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

This whole thing has me feeling like my feet have been encased in concrete and there is a rising flood of excrement coming down the riverbed, destined to cover my head and drown me.

There is no way anybody will convince me this Bergdahl isn't a worthless piece of shit, and Obama a clueless idiot for exchanging 5 seasoned enemy prisoners of war just to extract him.

13. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

This whole court martial is necessary in order for Obama to pardon Bergdahl on his way out of office. Can't pardon a guy who hasn't been convicted yet. That's the reason for putting it on now, and that's the reason for not making it a misdemeanor.

I would bet anyone a hundred bucks Bergdahl is convicted mid 2016, and after the election, Obama pardons him.

Greg likes this.
  14. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sucker bet.

Better still, he flies runaway-boy's parents in again on Air Force One for a weekend retreat photo op at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave when he does it.

Greg likes this.
  15. Greg

Greg Full Member

I agree with Andy, it's a sucker bet. No thanks! :D

Seriously, I wonder what the fuck is wrong with Obama. I'll save speaking the entire conservative litany of why.

Just two: He says he isn't Muslim, but it appears to me he has done everything a Muslim US President could get away with to aid their cause. -- And he's (half) black. You would expect a black President would promote an improvement in race relations, yet race relations have been set back years during his presidency, some say set back 20 years.

I won't have a good night's sleep until Obama is out of office, and if Clinton gets in then it will probably be a dirt sleep for me before I sleep well and permanently. I'm glad my kids won't have to live with what America is being saddled with. I didn't have any children. I'll probably be gone by the time the true moment of what our generation's politicians have done to the next generation.

It's like eating dinner with them at a restaurant, ordering all the most expensive dishes and several expensive bottles of liquor, and then under the ruse of visiting the restroom, sneaking out the back door and disappearing into the night.

I sure wish I could read what history to be written in 2050 will have to say about the current era.

Maybe they can pay it all off from the Social Security lock box...

16. Biker

Well, you got the pardon request bit right.

Bowe Bergdahl is asking for a pardon from President Obama | Toronto Star

Considering Trump has already stated he should have been shot, this is his last chance at walking before his court martial starts next year. Because if he's convicted, there's no way in hell the new Administration is going to pardon him for anything.

Allene likes this.