1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prisoner swap - The deserter

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Jun 1, 2014.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Back on "active duty," eh?

Betting he doesn't have a weapons card right now.

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Sitting behind a desk.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Is it snowing in Hell yet? :D

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good catch, @tke711 I am sure it will go no where. But again, History is going to bash the shit out of this admin. Remember during Carter years? No many said boo except among themselves? And then years later it was like, "holy shit but that guy suck!"?

Remember that? Obama's legacy will be so much worse.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've said before, Obama's biggest problem: history.

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Everything The White House Told You About Bowe Bergdahl Was Wrong

Everything The White House Told You About Bowe Bergdahl Was Wrong - The Daily Beast

Copzilla likes this.
  8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Obama will pardon him, when he is convicted. Watch. The petulant boy king has no concept of honor and duty to country, only idealism that is aligned with people like Bergdahl's parents.

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Anyone else remember the good old days when the MSM went batshit crazy because they didn't believe the narrative of the PFC Lynch story the White House was selling? Good times

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I suspect he will be convicted and the penalty will be reduced to nada based on his torture while a captive. He will receive, I hope, a dishonorable discharge. Not sure if the President can overrule that.

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Any bets it's a big chicken dinner instead? Due to the politics involved, I'll be extremely surprised that he ends up with a dishonorable discharge.

12. Copzilla

Uhhh, desertion in time of combat doesn't have any other penalty than dishonorable discharge, I don't think, Tom. They can't give him a general discharge when he's been convicted of desertion.

Edit - I think the other one would be a Bad Conduct discharge, but that one doesn't really apply to what he did. The administrative discharge would be Other Than Honorable, but that one doesn't apply either because his charges are criminal, not administrative.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  13. Biker

What do you think the Big Chicken Dinner is? :D

Due to the politics involved, he won't receive a Dishonorable Discharge. He'll get something that can be pleaded away by the Obama Administration once the furor dies down.

14. Copzilla

Oh, never heard that one before, Tom. Okay... Maybe, perhaps, but it's still a nasty discharge. By the time the furor dies down, though, Obama will probably be out of office.

I think if they manage that, they'll do it saying "But if he doesn't have a general discharge, he can't get free psych treatment for everything he went through! BOOHOO BOOHOO WAAAAHH HEARTLESS REPUBLICANS BOOHOO!!"

15. Biker

Next year's elections are not a sure thing, and unless the Republicans field someone that appeals to both sides without planting a lightning rod in the middle of the campaign, I don't see much in the way of improvements after it's all said and done.

16. Greg

Greg Full Member

Obama is one of them. What do you expect him to do when he has the chance to grab his phone and his pen?

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Welp. Looks like the military is not fucking around with this douche.

Observers wondered for months if Bergdahl would be charged with desertion after the deal brokered by the U.S. to bring him home. He was — but he was also charged with misbehavior before the enemy, a much rarer offense that carries a stiffer potential penalty in this case.

"I've never seen it charged," Walter Huffman, a retired major general who served as the Army's top lawyer, said of the misbehavior charge. "It's not something you find in common everyday practice in the military."

Bergdahl could face a life sentence if convicted of the charge, which accuses him of endangering fellow soldiers when he "left without authority; and wrongfully caused search and recovery operations."

Military selects rarely used charge for Bergdahl case

18. Biker

I'm surprised. VERY surprised.

19. Allene

Allene Registered User

20. Biker

Welp... Exactly as I suspected.

Army Officer Recommends No Jail Time for Sgt. Bergdahl

Essentially, all they'll do is reduce him in rank and give him the "Big Chicken Dinner".

Disgusting.