1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prisoner swap - The deserter

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

This is a terribly troubling development on the O administration's part, because now every single GI deployed overseas will be at risk of kidnapping to hold as ransom for Gitmo prisoners, or other demands.

But beyond that, this turd we traded for was a deserter from his Afghan post; that's how he was captured in the first place. His father recently posted that he was not going to stop until ALL prisoners at Gitmo were released, and made a traditional Muslim greeting in doing so. Starting to get a picture of this guy?

Now check this... A story told by one of the platoon members who served with this guy. It's in a series of Tweets, but...

2. Copzilla

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

All I hear is that he "wandered off" from base. What does that mean? Is he an idiot?
  4. Andy

Caught that here too..

The whole thing stunk from the get-go and love how he got promoted while in captivity... wonder how fast that will get rescinded.

Oh, wait, I forgot who's running the military now.

So much for the US not negotiating with terrorists any longer.
    Open up them floodgates.
  5. Copzilla

The only way I'm okay with this scenario is if we pulled a Russia and they all die from radiation poisoning in about 3 weeks.

The Obama administration is so weak. Unbelievable.
  6. SixofNine

Here's an article by a guy who served in the same battalion at the same time. Excerpts:

7. Copzilla

I guess what stands for foreign policy these days is trading hardcore terrorists for a wartime military deserter who cost American lives.
  8. Allene

Allene Registered User

This is terrible! I hope that we eventually get some balance restored again, but it doesn't look like it'll happen during this administration.
  9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

10. Copzilla

If anyone has any notions that this administration has any reservations at all against lying to the people and to Congress, this should be a final nail in the coffin of THAT idea.

If not, then you're a freaking stoolie that has no business even discussing honest politics.
  11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

12. tke711

What's not to be euphoric about?

He got a deserter back who costs the lives of his fellow unit members.

He gave up 5 HUGE Taliban terrorists.

He not only negotiated with terrorists but showed just how terrible he is at the actual act of negotiations.

He showed once again that he'll say screw the constitution and rule of law, he'll do whatever he damn well pleases even if it cost the USA way more than it receives.

Tell ya what, I'll be euphoric when his Presidency ends.
    Copzilla and ethics like this.
  13. tke711

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

He should be impeached, but nobody seems to have the guts to get the ball moving. I have my own theory on why it is so difficult to actually stand up and do it.
  15. Greg

Greg Full Member

The way I understand the story the deserter was already pro-Muslim and deliberately walked off base, and that 6 soldiers died trying to find him and get him back. Now we've traded 5 bad-ass Taliban for a deserter who probably joined with them, or maybe got a rude surprise when he tried to join and they liked him better as a prisoner than a collaborator.

Then Obama does away with the 30 day requirement to notify Congress of the trade by a "signing statement" after many months of negotiations and pretends the signing statement exempts him from the law. Now our 5 bad-ass guys are celebrating rejoining the war against America and whooping it up in Qatar, a country so well known for its pro-Taliban leaning that Saudi Arabia has been considering blockading Qatar.

As far as I'm concerned, when we get our guy back we should put him under the microscope including a colonoscopy without anesthesia, and then file charges for desertion and dereliction of duty. At the trial we take into consideration that 6 lives were lost trying to rescue him, and unless I am sadly misinformed about the facts of the situation I believe he should be stripped of his military grade and benefits and serve life in prison--at best--and maybe even should face the firing squad.

As far as Obama, this is just another thing that makes me wonder WTF is wrong with him? Is Obama the Mancurian/Taliban Candidate? I can't see how Obama could have hurt America worse during his Presidency if hurting America had been his original objective.

I just don't understand liberalism. I'm glad all my friends have brains, and use them. Oh, my sister is a school teacher. No need to ask where her sympathies lie. I shudder to think of how many young lives my sister has ruined by indoctrinating her students to become nice, non-competitive liberals. Thank God she just retired!

This Obama Administration is really a ride! Every week when you think you've heard everything there's another new twist, sort of like turning the knife after it's already stuck in.
  16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Weekly Standard is a Left leaning

I am the last person to call for this but how can this be legal? I mean, the nutballs from DSLReports were coming in here and throwing the "hubris" on GWB... Obama is in another stratosphere with arrogance.
  17. Allene

Allene Registered User

Well, I'm not normally the first to call for this, especially as we'd end up with the current VP as our leader, but Obama thinks the laws don't apply to him. He's breaking a lot of them and getting away with it too.
  18. Greg

Greg Full Member

What would be a real kick is if Obama was impeached and it came down to 50/50 and Biden had to call the tie breaker! :D
  19. tke711

20. SixofNine

This was another weird moment for me in this whole affair: