1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Preview] Shadowbane

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Dec 26, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Started talking about this with Rredline in another thread, so I think mentioning one aspect of Shadowbane was a must in another. :)

Check this out:

Shadowbane has a very intricate skill system that is the very core of the game. Unlike any other game you may be used to, Shadowbane will not force your character to follow a specific cookie-cutter model since one of the major features of this system is the immense amount of freedom your character has. On the other hand, though, you are not merely thrown into the world with no specialization so that all people become Tank Mages. Wolfpack has found a balance that should allow all types of gamers to enjoy character creation as well as create diversity among characters.

When you first start off, you choose a base class for your character. The four base classes you may choose from are Fighter, Healer, Mage, and Rogue. Each base class is radically different from any of the others and will greatly shape the way your character progresses. This is probably the most important decision you will make for your character.

After you choose a base class, it is then time to choose a path for your character to follow. These paths are known as professions and will add a bit of specialization. For instance, if you chose the Fighterclass, you can then choose from the following professions: Barbarian, Crusader, Huntress, Ranger, Templar, or Warlock(or you can not choose a profession and get promoted to Warrior). When stemming from the Fighterbase class, each of these professions will have a strong focus on fighting abilities with some added bonuses of that particular profession.

One thing to keep in mind is that most professions can be approached by several base classes. For instance, the Barbarianprofession can be chosen by both Fightersand Rogues. Just because a character is a Barbariandoes not mean that he is identical to the next Barbarian. If stemmed from the Fighterclass, that Barbarianwill focus mainly on brute strength. On the other hand, if that same Barbarianstemmed from the Rogueclass, his focus would be on fine tuning his skills.

Your final choice after choosing which Profession you would like is to then choose three Disciplinesthat best fit your character. The Disciplinesthat are available to you are completely dependent on which Professionyou chose. Each Disciplinewill open up a number of unique special abilities and skills to your character to allow even furthercustomization. As you can see, it will be very difficult to find two identical characters!

Continuing the path that we have followed, the disciplines that are available to the Barbarianare: Archer, Berserker, Blacksmith, Bounty Hunter, Commander, Gladiator, Huntsman, Rune Caster, Shape Shifter (Bear), Storm Lord, Summoner, Undead Hunter, Werewolf, and Wyrmslayer. If you chose Berserker, Rune Caster, and Werewolf, you will then have some insane fighting moves, the ability to cast spells from runes, and some minor shapeshifting powers. As your character gains in levels, your disciplines will allow you to use stronger versions of your special abilities. For instance, beginning Werewolves can shapechange into wolves, but as your rank increases in that discipline, you will then be able to turn into a man-wolf and then finally a werewolf. Choosing disciplines that you feel you will enjoy will be vital when molding your character.

As you can see, Shadowbane's Character Development System is a unique system that will allow all sorts of different people to create the characters that they enjoy. With the amount of customization available to you, you will be extremely hard-pressed to find a character identical to yours. Now go out and conquer that nation!

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

I would be interested in trying it. I would like to see a private game server for members only (and guests of members).

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I wouldn't want that! The MASSIVLEY multi-player aspect of those games is their driving force. That there are thousands of other players in the game with me is what fascinates me. It's not whether or not there is a dragon around the next corner that's exciting. It's whether or not there are other players around the corner and whether or not they are nice.

I think it would be great for us to meet up in a game like that and go exploring together. We could team up and kick other people's asses too. ;)

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I read through the FAQ at stratics and at the official site. This game certainly does intend to kick all kinds of ass in the MMORPG genre. I hope it succeeds.

I am curious as to why the information, even at the official site, seems to be old? According to the official website, this game was supposed to have been released already! An out of date website may be a sign of insufficient funding for the project? Or is there something I am not aware of that would explain this?

Oh well, I'm in if anyone else is(and even if you're not probably).

5. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Eletronic Bouteque says it will be releases in 3/14/2003.

6. ethics

I've read that as well and do NOT recall this game being slated in 2000. I think that FAQ is way off and not sure why those dates are there. It could be that I missed the whole thing but I would slate that towards a "Blizzard" like announcement and quality rather than insufficient funds.

People have been ready for something new ever since Anarchy Online was a huge flop (and even then they made an enormous amount of money).

Frodo, I usually go with EB's prediction rather than any web site. They do tend to move it back and forth but most of the time they are pretty decent. gonegold.com was usually pretty good as well.

7. EMIG

EMIG Yup

The game is also supposed to be very guild-oriented. Do I feel a GA guild forming? I'm a sucker for MMORPGs (I even gave the Anarchy Online losers some of my hard earned), so count me in if I'm right.

8. ethics

Oooh... Global Affairs Guild. (Or GAG for short). ;)

9. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Has a certain ring to it, no?

10. ethics

Especially when we start kicking ass. ;)

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I will definitlely give this game a go and hopefully meet up online with those of you who wish to participate. I prefer to play magic user types. I wouldn't mind being a healer or a buffer type character either.

Even if we don't kick other people's asses, we can still out-debate them on current affairs! :)

12. ethics

Well, I know one thing, the downtime (meditating, healing, buffing time) will NOT be boring! ;)