1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pot use in pregnancy linked to low birthweight and intensive care

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Susan Addams likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Maybe sooner, like 25 years?

3. ethics

Maybe even sooner.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

There are already studies that indicate marijuana smoking may be just as bad as smoking cigarettes as the smoke contains many of the same carcinogens as cigarette smoke.

Add to that the links to abnormal brain development in teens as well as paranoia in some users, we now have something that really should remain controlled.

Far be it, though, to buck the progressive dogma that pot is much, much safer than drinking.

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

Wouldn't this mean evolution will handle this issue?

6. Biker

By then, it'll be too late. Think about it. If we have an entire generation of slack jawed, paranoid individuals who are now in politics, we're doomed. Then again. We're already there. :banghead-72:

7. Biker

Well well well. Look at what just popped in my news feed.

Munchable pot goodies could pose a ‘risk’ to children

19? What happened to selling to those 21 or over?

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

There is one single variable or statistic that doesn't change or alter no matter the location or circumstance or environment and that is the higher the birth weight of an otherwise healthy child the better they do overall compared to their lighter birthweight peers--especially in development during young childhood.

ethics likes this.
  9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

To recap, smoking, drinking, and pot use for pregnant women may have a negative impact on the baby. I think we can add overeating, under eating, and lack of exercise. Color me surprised.

ethics likes this.
  10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Not too long ago there was talk out here about medical marijuana clinics. Then it morphed into recreational marijuana, and a certain college town across the state line from us opened a bunch of stores. Now they are planning to add more shops. I wasn't a bit surprised when they dropped the facade. It's sad that so many people can't face real life without getting stoned.

ethics likes this.
  11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

While I am sure there are those who cannot face real life without being high on something I think that is overstating it for most users. My experience with friends who smoked (ya, friends, that's it) was that it was like having a drink. They did not go to work high or use it to escape any more than a beer in the evening is because one cannot face real life.

12. ethics

Rick, you should see the batch that's coming in to the workforce in Manhattan (where pot is still illegal). It's scary.

13. ethics

Allene likes this.
  14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Shiny, what you mention was my experience with some of my friends when I was in my 20s and living in Boston. I was 25 when I arrived there, and these friends were about three or four years younger. The ones my own age didn't seem to go in for it much. The same was true of my younger siblings. They tried it for fun in college, but let it go later. It was mostly a weekend thing for them. I never even tried pot, but it wasn't a moral high-ground decision. I had just quit smoking cold turkey, so the last thing I needed was to start smoking pot.

The climate today seems more extreme. I think we have more addicts around than in the 1960s, but that is just a gut feeling on my part.

ethics likes this.
  15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leon, that was a great read about Myanmar, but very, very sad. What a terrible waste. When I worked in Toronto in 1965/66, I knew a medical student from what was then Burma. He was just a friend, but I still think of him sometimes and hope that he has had a good life. I believe that he intended to return to his homeland after he finished his training, but that was around the time when things began to change there politically. His given name was Stalin, but he wasn't at all like the Russian Stalin. It's funny how some people stay in our minds so clearly for over 50 years!

ethics likes this.
  16. Biker

Pot pains: Why marijuana can become toxic for some

As this becomes more prevalent, I'd wager the denial will continue by those who just have to have their "high".

17. ethics

Marijuana will not be dissimilar to alcohol. Not right off the bat, but in 50 years, it will be one of the worst things to be legalized.

Arc likes this.
  18. Biker

19. Biker

Allene and Susan Addams like this.
  20. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

I'm infuriated about all the misinformation out there regarding marijuana, and also about vaporizer "smokeless" smoking.

During my final year of studies getting my B.A. in Psychology I wrote an essay where I traced psychological effects of smoking tobacco, and while I could not find any authoritative papers I found endless anecdotal accounts from pot smokers who claimed that they had suffered major depression and the symptoms abated about 6-12 months after quitting pot. I think the depression-marijuana connection should be followed up by scientific studies.

As far as the nicotine vaporizers, you silly wabbit! Yes, tobacco causes major damage to your body, only an idiot or cretin would dispute that. I have seen my friends smoke marijuana from a bong and have seen the disgusting tar residue left behind. I always wondered why pot smokers' lungs weren't full of tar. I found the interesting reason: tobacco kills the cilia that coat the inside of our respiratory system and cause a wavelike transport system that cleans our lungs and trachea. Apparently pot does not kill the cilia. (I discovered this from a pre-med I was dating. He's a damned good doctor these days, we still keep in touch.)

Back to vaporizers, yeah they don't kill those important cilia, but vape supporters have neglected the fact that nicotine consumption still affects the heart and circulatory system even without the harmful additional components found in tobacco. So maybe in a way you are better off vaporizing it, but it is a widespread myth that vaporizing nicotine is harmless. Best you can say is not as bad as tobacco. Or is that true. Has anybody studied that possibly vape users increase their nicotine dosage? Patient non-compliance has long been a fact of prescribing any and all drugs. Patients for whatever reason just don't follow the directions of their doctor and pharmacist. (My sister told me this, she has a degree in pharmacology.)

Has this factor in marijuana use been resolved yet? Is there a road-side test that law enforcement can use to detect DUI caused by smoking pot then driving? Last I heard: no, maybe a blood test, but the half-life of THC can be days, long after most people would admit the person who consumed it is no longer stoned. Logic tells me there is no test that can determine if a driver is impaired by consumption of marijuana. IMO it is beyond a doubt that there will be pot-impaired drivers on the road causing accidents and potentially killing innocent victims.

Lastly, I believe one of the biggest factors motivating the push to legalize pot is potential government income from tax revenue. But where will they spend that? Helping sick people? Helping studying treatments or intervention programs? I doubt it. Government will probably just squander the money on the usual wastage.

Meanwhile those of us who do not consume will become the victims of pot smoking drivers.

I know it seems trite from repetition but we already have major problems caused by alcohol consumption, not only those who consume it but those of us they maim and kill in DUI induced accidents.

How the hell did this insanity start? What next? How about opiate clinics where patients can consume them in a safe environment where Narcan is available in case they OD, and healthcare staff to treat any overdoses. Yeah, we can tax them and use the money to support more government boondoggles.

This all seems to come from, "They want to poison themselves, let them and we can tax it and get more money for government to waste."

I think it's safe to say that within 1-2 decades marijuana will become universally available across most of the US. People get sucked into the myth that users only harm themselves and government can get more tax money and not tax the rest of us as much. When did getting more tax money ever result in lowering taxes in other areas. Don't think that letting people smoke pot will reduce anybody taxes for those of us who don't.

Just another stupid idea.

Allene likes this.