1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posturing, incendiary, or warmonger?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Nov 22, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20021121-084739-1724r
    It doesn't take much to find op-eds and other opinions that view Bush as a warmonger, someone who can't wait for war with Iraq, either because of his father's failure (still can't quite understand that one; seemed like a success to me) or some other sinister intention. Even if some won't go quite as far as labelling him a warmonger, they will say his threats against Iraq and troop and supply deployments are incendiary, a destabilizing force in the Middle East.

But is this posturing not necessary to demonstrate that the U.S. is serious about the inspections, and this is not another half-hearted effort? In dealing with a leader who once said if the U.S. attacked Kuwait there would be "rivers of blood" (if I remember correctly), what other tone can Bush adopt? Are these strong speeches and deployments not necessary to keep the pressure on so that inspections can occur? What other approach could be taken to ensure Iraq's cooperation?

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I guess if the guy in Germany was saying that the terrorist attacks were a 'domestic problem', then I guess he's right, huh.

If the threat of biological warfare with Iraq is a domestic problem - he's right again.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

You go Misu!!!! :)

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know, it's ridiculous to say that America wants to bomb Saddam because we want to cover our own domestic problems. That's retarded.

Iraq has proven time and again they cannot be trusted. Shortly after accepting the UN Resolution, they go and shoot at allied planes. WTF?

5. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Everyone has proven time after time they cannot be trusted. US included.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

That is true - but we live in *this* country. The US. We can't let it get plowed down - it's all about self-preservation.

It's very easy for everyone to criticize the US - we're the world police thus we're the world's punching bag. Perfectly understandable. But whenever a country is trouble, who do they run to first?

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Yes. We do live in this country. My family have been in this country since 1760, and have fought and died to preserve this majestic nation and it's ideals from the early colonial frontiers to the battlefields of Vietnam. I love this country as much as anyone. It's the ruling class I don't trust. They're becoming too damn much like the European aristocracy of the 18th century. We all know what happened to them, after the citizens decided they'd had enough.

We don't have to be concerned so much with America being plowed down from the outside. Those who build and run the plows are already within our borders and hallowed halls.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Yes the darn ruling class like the Clintons, Doles, and McCains. Clinton come from a single mother and worked his way up the ladder through education, Bob Dole gave his arm and almost his life for this country in Italy, and McCain spent a little time in a Hilton in North Vietnam. Yes I see, this ruling class is real worrisome to me. What worries me more is almost everything else that is going wrong in this country, like arrogance of those that don't even understand that the people get exactly the kind of government that they deserve because of it is easier to blame than to seek a cure.

9. mikeky

mikeky Member

No matter which class is in charge, it seems one would always want to negotiate from a position of strength, as it seems Bush is. It amazes me that his rhetoric is taken as proof of Bush's war-mongering disposition.

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think the problem we are facing is that the people who have their hands in the cookie jar are the ones making the laws about handing out the cookies.

Until we do something about campaign reform and making the candidates answer to the people's concerns instead of big business we will see no changes.