1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post of the month voting button

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by midranger4, Dec 30, 2002.

1. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Ethics,

How bout a button to vote a post up for post of the month alongside the rate button?

This would eliminate the nomination process and make determining the winner of POM a straightforward process.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Good idea. :thumbsup:

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You know how many PoM nominations we would have?

Currently the poll has a limit of 14 choices, I think by the end of the month we could easily have over a hundred selections. Plus, the abuse factor would be way up there.

It's a good idea but I'd rather do it the manual way, and I don't think anyone minds. (I hope). :)

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

What if each member were limited to one vote for POM per month?

Abuse would be difficult at best to achieve and the nomination process eliminated.

I don't mean take all that were voted for POM and then put them in a poll.

Simply post the tallied results for the top 5 or something.

5. ethics

I'll look in to it, but no promises. :)

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Ahhh, but a post you nominate on December 1st may pale beside a post on Dec 31st. Having voted you have no recourse for consideration of posts that may follow.

7. ethics

Good point, Bruzz.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Maybe the post that gets the most affirmative votes or votes either way could be the post of the month. Meaning the vote is one that generates discussion or disagreement.

9. ethics

Becomes a stance button (sort of like the Thumbs up in over yonder).

This is my opinion guys, I don't know all the answers and I could be wrong but I am just throwing stuff out there. Sometimes as a devil's advocate.

10. jamming

jamming Banned

No problem, I was doing the same.

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Since we are encouraging approvals for posts we agree with or admire I think using the appove votes for POM would discourage approvals. I imagine "I like this post but is it good enough for POM. I will wait" And then remember in weeks which thread it was in and go looking for it. I like POM's having nominations and votes in a poll. Like it is now. One man's opinion.

12. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I am still advocating that ALL nominations reside in the Hall Of Fame forum. Each of them are our members best in that month.

Please do not let them fade away in time.

The actual winner can be marked appropriately.

<b>I need some support on this issue.</b>

If it is so difficult to choose, then the qualifying post must have some merit.

13. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I do not think a valid comparision can be made to the joker's list previously maintained by BBR. That system was clearly abused because the thumbs were visible within the forums. The joker's list was also updated daily, which compounded the problem.

GA announces POM's only once a month. The lack of daily updates would discourage/eliminate any potential ballot box stuffing. Also GA rates are only visible to the posting member and any member who rated the post. So in essence the system is still anonymous. The same could hold true for POM votes.

Somebody mentioned the potential quandry of voting for a post early in the month and finding a better one later. This is a valid concern and there is no easy fix per say unless each member's monthly vote could be *transferrable* to another post.

Maybe the *vote for POM* button would change to *VOTED for POM* when pushed. If you wanted to change your vote you could hit the button again and the vote would be removed and the button returned to its original text. That or make you most current vote for POM the only one that is counted.

Sounds simple enough on paper but the effort to implement an enhancement like this could be a royal pain I would imagine.

I have no problem with the current system and just thought the suggestion might encourage more people to participate in the process.

14. ethics

Mid, first of all, thanks for the suggestion. I am always looking for those, even if they ARE royal pains.

I will say that it IS a huge royal pain in the ass and I do not want to spend too much time on a version that's going to be obsolete in a month or two.

15. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

God ethics, running this forum is like a full time job!
    Don't you ever sleep?
    Spend some more time with your wife!
    You sound like you really need some rest.

16. ethics

Pip, I have fun seeing something new created and you guys excited about it. But don't worry, this forum's maintainance does not run over priority with the mizzus. :)

Heck, perhaps she will join soon to keep us all company.

17. jamming

jamming Banned

Maybe she will post a picture of you ;)

18. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Keep after him jamming!!!

Follow him wherever he roams.

We must have a picture of our Fearless Leader.

The pedestal stands waiting...;)