1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Newton Massacre

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, May 20, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Heart wrenching read not because of anything specific but reading about the parents... oof. I never ever want to know or come close to knowing what they have felt.

No, this was a different type of a read, one about human nature ruling the day (months) and how ugly it can really get even when you have a tragedy like that. I don't really think anyone meant harm, but when you have a tragedy like that, add money and it becomes a clusterfuck really fast.

New York Magazine does a fantastic write up. It's long, but worth the read.

For many people in Newtown, the killing of those 6- and 7-year-olds resurrected the pain of previous trauma or loss. In interviews, I heard about the death of a brother in a car crash; the near death of a child; an attempted rape; a gunshot wound. Llodra is one of these. Four years ago, she lost her 42-year-old daughter Sharon, and Llodra believes that her own experience with grief helped her understand the incomparable suffering of losing a child. Many in Newtown, she believes, have been like families stuck in the initial phase after a death, when the women with casseroles are still coming by to stock the freezer. The next phase is harder, and more personal, but necessary. “I would give anything to have my daughter back,” she told me, “but I like who I am now better than who I was then.”

http://nymag.com/news/features/newtown-2013-11/index6.html

Last edited: May 20, 2014