1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port of Long Beach Vulnerable to Terrorist Attack

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Valkyre, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Valkyre

Valkyre Crazy Viking Woman

http://www.dailybreeze.com/content/reg/nmwebreports.html

The local paper had an article today about the port of Long Beach and Los Angeles being vulnerable to terrorist attacks. So many shipping containers move through, that they are only able to physically check about 2% of them.

The picture they paint is, "a worst case scenario", but it's still pretty scary. I guess, for me at least, it's because I live near this area.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Seems like the military (and others like Allene and Advocat) were pretty much on the money with the chances of this happening.

3. SlashDot14

SlashDot14 Professional Lurker

All these container ships are a big risk since in general there isn't much regulation or security scanning. A nucelar bomb or another destructive device could be put on one without too much trouble.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Should the media be broadcasting the weaknesses of this particular port to all and sundry? Remember the old World War II slogan, "Loose lips sink ships"? IMHO, we talk too much in this country!

Allene (wondering how she is going to get to sleep tonight) ;)

5. mike

mike mesmerized

Going to have to side with allene on this-at what point does security infringe too much on society and (the liberals') freedom?

6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Last year I conducted many industrial accident investigations at the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles/San Pedro. They are the two busiest ports in the United States.

Technically there is security. But from a real life and real world functional standpoint there is no security at all. None. Nada--especially at night.

That is the bad news. The good news is that from a strategic standpoint as viewed in the context of the goals of the Al-Qaeda types, neither harbor is high on the hit list.

In fact from my perspective it would be against the interest of Al-Qaeda or their Islamic brother formal terrorist organizations to target the harbor for any serious damage and worldwide impact. I think they realize the same thing.

Oh by the way, if you blew up a liquid natural gas tanker the resulting detonation would be in terms of blast damage and force equivalent to a small nuclear bomb.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Terrorists want fireworks and display and make their point in the most extravagant way. Docks attacked is just not the same as attacking symbolic structures.