1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poppy Seed Bagel and Drug Test

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ah, you heard the stories. Your friend comes home devasted for not getting a job (or worse, being fired from a random drug test) and not understanding why. "I mean, I am not a drug user!!!" You later find out that he / she consumed a bagel with poppy seeds (or poppy seed cake). Then you are like, "whoa dude, poppy seeds have Opiats!"

"Nah, I only had two bagels, there's not enough Opiates in that!"

Think again.

As recently shown on Mythbusters, consuming two bagels (or less) will have chemicals in your urine within 30 minutes, not only that, it will be in your body for the next 72 hours.

Don't believe me?

What really sucks, imho, besides being funny and weird is how many people DID lose their jobs because of this false positive? How many didn't get the jobs they deserved? And what's being done on the testing side to make sure this doesn't continue happening?

Yah, that will help, but I hope ALL of the testings go the same route.

Let me also mention that Russians have a cake that is 50% poppy seeds. It's delicious as hell but there's so many poppy seeds, I am fairly sure that stuff will be in your urine for a week.

2. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Oh shoot - my daughter makes poppy seed cake all the time. Really good stuff. I never even gave it a thought, but I am subject to random testing.

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I find it difficult to believe anyone has lost their job over this. I've been taking random drug tests at my place of employment since 1983, when I joined the Army, and through two companies since then. Every time, I've been informed that if I've consumed anything that I think may result in a false positive that I should inform the tester. Every time, examples were given and every time poppy seeds were mentioned, as were large quanties of nutmeg and (believe it or not) large quantities of coffee or caffeinated beverages.

Maybe there are companies administering drug tests without such warnings, but that's not been my experience.

Oh, and for the record: ingesting large amounts of poppy seeds and/or nutmeg won't give you a buzz ;)

4. ethics

Well, aside from the Snopes article, Mythbusters, both Adam and Jamie ate poppy seeds on a bagel and cake. Both took the test 30 minutes later and both were very positive. This test was performed an hour later, two hours, four, eight, and then 16 hours. All through the cycle, both tested positive.

5. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I've know this was true ever since the Shower head episode on Seinfeld.

6. ravital

ravital Banned

I guess I shouldn't put poppy seeds on my chalas anymore?

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

7. Doctor Dan

Doctor Dan Weapons of Masturbation

2000 ng/mL is the standard NIDA opiate cutoff value for urine screening. At this level, you'd have to consume a very large quantity of poppy seeds to test positive, certainly much more than two poppy seed bagels.

- Dan

8. MorWired

MorWired Veteran Member

You're clearly NOT familiar with Eastern European baked goods. :) That's about a 1/2 inch layer of ground poppy seeds, recipe calls for 1lb. -- how do you think that'll test out? :drool:

9. ethics

Yah, Makoviy Roullete is the shiznit. :)

10. MorWired

MorWired Veteran Member

No ano, makovy strudl je nejlepsi, ne? ;)

11. ethics

Actually, strudel IS more appropriate. :)

12. MorWired

MorWired Veteran Member

Who needs vowels, we don't need no stinkin' vowels -- it's strudl. :haha:

Ya want some more vowelless wonders? krk, smrt, prst, drstky :holyshit:

13. AmeritecTech

AmeritecTech Veteran Member

FYI, opium plants can be grown from poppy seeds purchased at your local grocery store. Higher yield poppy seeds can be purchased from online vendors, but among the store-bought brands, McCormick Gourmet Collection is a high-yield high-quality poppy seed that grows a good plant and produces opium poppies.

Of course, growing a poppy plant is a felony.

14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Growing a poppy isn't a felony, producing opium is a felony. If it's a felony then where do poppy seeds come from?

15. AmeritecTech

Holland.

Knowingly possessing an opium-producing poppy plant is a felony. Possession of poppy seeds is not a crime.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Which is why one should grow the California variety of poppy. However, although it is legal to grow that particular variety, many law enforcement agencies don't know the difference. Did a quick "Google" and found more than just a few cases where individuals were busted, even though they were growing the permitted variety.

17. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Thanks for the clarification. Your original statement was "growing a poppy plant is a felony".

18. AmeritecTech

Yes, there are many varieties of poppies, and it seems that the law says the less you know about the poppies you're growing, the better off you are.

There's a great article that Harper's ran on this. Here it is straight from the mouth of the DEA agent.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1111/is_n1763_v294/ai_19263022/pg_10

As he says, possession of a papaver somniferum is a felony. At McCormick's site:
    http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=8228

It has always been amazing to me that tossing standard poppy seeds out your kitchen window and into your garden is a felony. If you do it knowingly, that is.

19. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Amazing that you can actually be restricted from growing flowers. I mean not everyone is going to be trying to get high from the plants, just like anyone eating the seeds isn't gonna want to grow them.

You know I've known this poppy seed drug test thing for a long time now, but I never, ever realized that you could take a poppy seed and grow a poppy plant with it. That is kind of bizzarre how we have access to the thing to grow it, but are forbidden to grow it. I'm curious just how poppy seeds were determined to still be allowed to be consumed, even after it was made illegal to grow them? I guess it's because you don't get high from eating them?