1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope Warns Church Must Stop Obsessing...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

...over gays, abortion, and contraception. I understand the ethical dilemmas the Catholic Church faces in the 21st Century, and recognize that the Vatican, of all places, is populated with unrelenting absolutists. As such, I expect Francis's urgings to have little effect. But it's still kind of cool to hear.

ethics likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

He is a breath of fresh air. Maybe it has something to do with being the first Jesuit to become Pope? I can't speak for all of them, but they may be a tad more liberal. Or maybe it is just this man's personality.

ethics likes this.
  3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

There are many priests on the front lines who share this attitude, along with those who come from the Torquemada school of tolerance. Catholics seeking tolerance gravitate toward the former, while dogmatic Catholics gravitate toward the latter.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomás_de_Torquemada Thanks. I had to look up that fellow. YIKES!

5. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

There are several conservative Christians on my FB feed who are appalled that Francis would speak this way.

On the other hand, it thrills me.

ethics likes this.
  6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Hey, in a slight twist to a famous phrase, Francis said "lighten up." :D :D

Sierra Mike likes this.
  7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

IS HE EVEN CATHOLIC!?!?!?!?!

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I think he is, but way more human than most people at the Vatican. He seems to be more interested in reaching out to people in a caring manner than he is in all that pomp and circumstance and power. I hope he stays that way.

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'm sure he will, but the bishops will probably start insisting he drive around in his little car, and not the Popemobile.

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

Reality is moving beyond the disapproval of contraception, abortion and gays, and the Catholic Church's stolid refusal to accept any of this is making their religion obsolete. It must be a difficult to choose between your beliefs and survival.