1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop Ups To Get more intrusive

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Dec 21, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Pop-up and pop-under ads open a new window when people visit many popular Web sites, often littering the computer desktop with multiple browser screens. Advertisers hope people will visit the promoted Web page by clicking anywhere on the window, although many simply close it by selecting the "X" box in the top-right corner.

But a relatively new feature may make it harder for people to avoid these windows. Using a technique called the "kick through," advertisers can direct a person to another Web site if they simply move their cursor across the pop-up ad--no clicking is necessary.

Unreal. When will the ad companies--and those that host the ad companies--realize that it turns people off and they WILL look for alternative sites?

Full Story

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Lynx anyone?

3. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

And the more I see those pop ups and unders the more they piss me off. And I 'm thinkin...if I'm really that pissed that I have to X out of ALL those freakin windows, why would I even bother to visit any of the advertisments. Answer is easy...I wouldn't.

And yes, not only are they becoming more intrusive but the seem to be multiplying too...I mean they are everywhere....

damn it...somebody stop this madness..hehehehe

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I use Mozilla, turned off the pop-ups, and stopped thinking about it. Opera does the same thing...:)

5. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Have you taken Phoenix for a spin yet?

Nice!