1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop UPS at the GA??

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by btdude, Nov 21, 2002.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

UM, Ethics, Sir . . . LOL

I was just reading a thread, and suddenly a pop up ad came on. I thought that it was the typical ad, so I clicked X. LOL I'll be damned if I was not shutting the whole browser. HMMMM whatcha gonna do when they come for you??

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

LMAO

Now Dude, your not fooling anybody... you love it when the BAD-BOYS come for you!

(sorry, sorry - couldnt resist! Ok no more coffee for me...)

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Pop-ups! Where???? You need a better mousetrap ;)

Domhain you :nut:

rofl

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

LOL! I can assure you that GA site, not just this forum, does not, nor will it ever (at least in the near future) have any pop ups. I never believed in that kind of marketing and money gathering.

Rest assured. ;)

5. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

OK, my fingers must have clicked something that made the ad appear. (shrugs) Hell, if I know.

6. ethics

What was the ad for, out of curiosity?

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Have you scanned your hard drive for spyware recently BT?

If you had no other browser windows open and got a popup while surfing GA, it may mean that you have some ad-ware or spy-ware on your computer.

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Bt, you need to run adaware. Sometimes stuff gets put on your computer that makes ads suddenly pop-up. I've been kicked out of games because an ad popped up all of a sudden.

9. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Yeah the only pop up I get is one I want. the instant message window pop up :)

10. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Btdude, the only thing that pops up on this site (and that's optional) is IM notification. (Well, except for you guys in certain threads... take a cold shower when <i>that</i> happens!! ;) )

You may want to do a thorough virus check on your machine after fully clearing your temp internet files and cache. Also, run AdAware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy as soon as possible. (Both are excellent, and you can use both without worry of conflict.)

I find, also, that as far as a simple pop-up stopper is concerned, Free Surfer is the best thing rockin'. It's quite a bit more intelligent than many of the others, easy on resources, and quite configurable.

All the above-mentioned software is completely FREE for personal use...

11. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Well . . . . I tried the software , and it found nothing. Oh, well my fingers have been known to extend quite far.

12. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

You may have cashed a Java pop-up add from another site that is time disigned. Time to clean your cookies.

13. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

The only pop-ups I ever get from this site are the javascript popups that alert me when I have a new private message. Aside from that, if there are any of the "usual" pop-up ads, I have only one comment.

Mozilla. :)

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Wow thanks Sunriser for those links - I've been going crazy looking for them. Recently reinstalled everyone on my baby and needed to add all this stuff back on. THanks :)

15. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Misu, you're more than welcome! I did have a fit trying to find a working download location for the AdAware RefUpdate proggy, too - here is the current version! :)

16. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

No pop-ups here. Clean your cookies clean and spyware scan.

Or I personally like PhyreFox's suggestion. I use Mozilla as my default browser. It has an option to automatically block pop-ups (the best blocker I've ever used) has many more security features, a built in database to store passwords that will automatically get filled in, has tabbed browsing, and is skinnable. I personally like the Pinball theme. They also have an MSIE theme if you really like the MSIE GUI (not that I would think anyone would...)

17. jaykaykay

jaykaykay 2 Good 2 B 4gotten

Did you look at http://www.lavasoft.de/? I thought it was there but could be wrong. They're going to have a new one, a whole new version of the program, so it was said, as of December 1 or there abouts. I am hoping.

18. ethics

Whoa!

Please keep us posted.

19. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Might have been a pop-under.

20. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

That would make sense. Recently, Lavasoft has been incredibly slow at releasing refupdates. If they are designing an entirely new version, that would make it understandable that they haven't had time to concentrate on the updates.

Thanks JKK!