1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pink slip, Sep 12, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Anytime someone says PoD for a post, it makes it in the PoD list, provided the person voting is not being an ass. Thus farĀ all of the "great post" or "hey, that's PoD material" has made into a PoD.

Just to clarify.
  2. Neo

Neo Banned

Anyone who is a member of GA can nominate a post for post of the month--correct?

Anyone who is a GA member can vote for those posts nominated as post of the month--correct?

What is the problem? What could be clearer? What could be fairer?

Reading this entire thread makes me think the only way to satisfy some people would be to start some other categories of PoM such as:

Hall of Shame PoM

Whiner PoM

Non-US PoM

Victim of the Month PoM

It is All About Me PoM--My favorite actually.

I regret that in this post I cannot signal out those who where unhappy about the current PoM and made constructive criticism and clearly were expressing good will and constructive minded posts, and there were definitely such people and posts, but if I did that then it would cause a big blow up by some as it would be pointed out that anyone who I did not name and had been unhappy about the current PoM format was being picked on or attacked.

See the category "It is All About me PoM" above!
  3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

And yours makes me think of a new category.

POS post of the day :)
  4. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

rofl......... matrix and mid rofl good ones ;)
  5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

That's very fair, and in reference to your statement of not speaking for someone else, it would be unfair of me to not acknowledge this gesture on your part. I appreciate that you're making a level discussion... this thread certainly can end on a positive note.

I think some people "Rah rah" a bit because of one thing, ditch. They don't appreciate constant negativity. This barrage of negativity doesn't necessarily stem from terrorists, whose viewpoints Americans largely regard as irrelevant, but from internal sources, activists, foreign "friends", college professors, "scholars", anyone who would have a say in the politics of the big kid on the block. This means just about everyone except working Joe Average in America. So Joe tends to get a little tired of hearing how horrible his country is. Seems to Joe that there's a lot to like. And Joe takes it personally when some Saudi rag comes over and tells America maybe now we'll change our politics, after killing a few thousand of our people.

So Joe goes and talks about good things, what we're all about, our mettle, our strengths, because God in Heaven knows nobody else is going to say such things, except maybe John Beanham, bless him. Joe is trying to be positive, is trying to express just how much he cares about his home, his street, his neighborhood, his city, his state, his country... And some would call that a bad thing, first patriotism, then nationalism, lastly imperialism. The same assholes who do nothing but bitch bitch bitch about every little thing, cannot see how good they have it, and how benevolent this society is.

Try to imagine that the person who is talking good things about his country is being positive. Not being arrogant, not even talking about himself, but being grateful for what he has. And if someone cannot understand that, and if someone says this is a bad thing, then they'll just have to forgive me while I open up a can of don't-give-a-shit soup.
  6. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

is it too late for post of the day? :)
  7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Fair point Copz. Everyone wants to take a shot at the US. Everyone has an opinion and they all want to have it heard. Its a predicament no other counrty has to endure to such an extent and I can appreciate the reason for the annoyance.
  8. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Ahhh... a misunderstanding on my part then and I apologize. I thought the tone between some of the aussie members was quite tense at times. An accepted concept on your end. Sorry, lol. I guess I took it too seriously and you guys were just razzin' each other. I'll keep that in mind next time I see it.... heaven knows we have our own type of stuff between states here. :)
  9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

No need to apologise Cyd.:)
    I think you are right in that some of the exchanges between a few from Oz were a bit tense, but not over the Melbourne / Sydney thing.
  10. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I don't think anyone realizes how difficult it is to remain fair and balanced on running this site. So often, emotion becomes our first reaction to any controversial post. Intellect runs second almost always. We either agree or disagree or just don't care about a particular subject.

Leon does not have the option of reacting immediately with an emotive response. His responsibility in responding must go much farther in evaluating his words carefully to include the membership on this site.

If all of us had to go though this evaluation process, searching for words and context that would not offend others, then our freedom of emotive catharsis would be abridged. I for one occasionally need to burst out and react and enjoy that freedom to express both joy and anger.

This may sound like a suck up thread for Leon, but I hope only to remind everyone here how difficult it is to remain objective towards all the diverse opinions that get strewn out from the many sides of an issue.

Both Leon and Biker have many years experience in running these forum sites. Many more than just this site alone. Sometimes, it helps our understanding by putting ourselves in their positions and asking ourselves, "how would we react to every controversial subject, and PM with the same limitations that those two moderators must employ".

Just my 2 cents worth...
  11. ethics

Thanks Bruzzes. We are used to hearing bashing, we are not sure how to react to praise yet. ;)
  12. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I figure a couple of hundred should be reaction enough. ;)
  13. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Leon! Leon! Biker! Biker! rah rah rah!!!
  14. Biker

That's a good idea. I think we'll add the Post of Positively Outstanding Service to our attaboy list. Thank you Mid.
  15. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Wouldn't that be POPOS? *shrug*

I suppose you could shoot for POOPOO but that's a lot of words starting with the letter O.
  16. Biker

Oh no. Positively Outstanding Service will suffice for the posts that fall into that category. Again, thank you for the idea.
  17. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

In that case, I'd recommend Wacko for that award, in his recommendation of the Viewsonic AS90f monitor, which I bought and is an OUSTANDING piece of hardware.
  18. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Speaking of monitors mine just went on the fritz this afternoon. It's been acting flaky so I anticipated it was going to go any day. It was a19" (not a full 19" viewable however) Sony P911 CRT and I loved that monitor :(

On a brighter note I'm composing this post in front of a 19" TFT LCD digital flat panel by Mag Innovision.

Maybe my perception of Biker's humor will improve with the crisper display?
  19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

biker exhibits humor?
  20. ethics

Precisely, I don't think he was joking in this thread. I would stop blaming the monitor, Mid.