1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL 1 The Name Change FUNCTION

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by btdude, Jan 14, 2003.

?

Do you believe that the ability to give another user a custom title should be:

1. Removed Entirely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kept in place, as is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Modified to reflect that any changes will only be effective for a 2-week period. After 2 weeks, the

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. This is silly. Just let it go.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

POLL 1 The Custom Title/Name Change FUNCTION

Do you believe that the ability that each member has to change another member's name, or title line should be:

A. Removed entirely
    B. Kept in place, as is
    C. Modified to reflect that any changes will only be effective for a 2-week period. After 2 weeks, the original name or title will be returned to the owner, without any cost to change it back.
    D. This is silly. Just let it go.

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

I wasnt even aware of the function.

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Zed> Goto Thumbs up store to see a list of products

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

Thanks bt, now I know how poor I really am.

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I was torn between the modified and this is silly.

This was all meant for fun and comraderie.

Actually being chosen for such is an honor as it shows that a person is popular at the least. A tease name may be OK but a malicious one is not acceptable.

Actually, if the namee objects they should be able to have it removed. I, myself, would consider it a badge of honor. It should also have a free Glow around it...

6. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

LOL Oh, glow is one term for it, yes. RADIATE comes to my mind. We just need to be aware that there are many good folks here who have the gift of really exploring the possibilities and ramifications of a particular action. Hats off to those folks. I was seeing nothing more than the funny child-like humor and (essentially) name calling that my actions would have ammounted to. ANd, just to add here, and I mean no offense to anyone. I am a bit taken that some of you did not trust my intensions of this. I had discussions with all the people I need to have them with prior to anything being done. This included the person who was going to be re-named. Its like well, if someone does not make a damn thread about it all, then it can't be real? Spare me. I like any good lawyer/investigator was laying the foundation. Sometimes foundations are laid beyond the scope of a population, until it is finished.

Anyway, carry on.

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Leave it like it is. It keeps the kids distracted.

wapu

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Without a malicious intention, I think it is fun also bt.
    Much ado about nothing as far as I am concerned.

and yet

IT CAN BE LOTSA FUN!!!

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Humor is a funny thing (pun intended). I love humor and have been known to take inuslts as humor. And once in a while humor as insults. But the way I taught my kids about practical jokes was that if it scared or made the other person angry it was not funny, that made it bullying and I would not permit that.

In this environment we know who has a sense of humor about certain things and who does not. If who it is done to is who it pisses off the most then it is not funny, it is ganging up. Then when they respond with anger we tell them they have no sense of humor. Pardon, me, but that is not humor.

Spedited

10. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

A. Removed entirely

It hasn't even happened yet, and folks are already snipping at each other!!!

I think that this is a GREAT site. We adults can snip at each other's opinions in good debate. And, even though it's not entirely proper, we do get away with the occasional personal barb, as we get familiar with each other and learn how we'll each take things (in other words, become friends).

But, a 'feature' enabling, by law, <i>anyone</i> with enough bucks to paint my home's mailbox dayglo pink, is nonsense.

So, I'll have to spend my money to change it back to what I desired?
    Or, I'll just have to live with it for a week or so, and someone will come by and paint it back to what I desired?
    And.... I'm supposed to feel 'honored' that I'm a target?
    Baloney.
    Sounds like vandalism, to me.
    I might expect some 'feature' like this on a kid site somewhere, (WC, for example?) but at GA?

I do love a good 'gotcha'.
    But this 'feature' doesn't measure up.

How's that for a rant?
    Fire away.

Regards,

11. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

NO one is looking for a rant to fire upon. That's why the Poll is where it is. Your view is respected. And your vote is noted.

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

The availability of this feature, regardless of the outcome of any poll, should be seriously examined by Ethics.

The members opposing the feature may very well be a minority. However, as a minority we are entitled to certain rights, and prohibiting members from attaching a label to the defenseless out of some sick definition of *fun* is well within our rights.

This *fun* you reference can potentially strip a member of his dignity based soley on his lifestyle or position on any number of subjects. It is discriminatory in my opinion and violates the basic member rights afforded us under the GA constitution.

I will not sit still and allow the undue persecution of my fellow members so a few *elitists* can have a little *fun*.

We are what we are, why can we just be accepted for that?

Don't make us organize a parade ok?

13. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

GEEEZ MID. LOL I give you caviar on a platter, and you still go off?

AND, I resent the inference in calling me elitist. AND, the member AGREED TO HAVE THE FUCKING NAME CHANGED TO BEGIN WITH.

14. jamming

jamming Banned

Well doesn't the time limit make it temporary and fun, or you can bust out dollars to change your name back. I mean it wouldn't be a permanent change and it could be a good way to let people know when they have become pompous, mean, or just a funny idea.

15. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Sheesh BT lighten up.

Reread the post, only this time look for the satire ok?

:rolleyes:

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I am not in favour of this name changing option. We have the opportunity to say what we want to eachother, including the callling of names, in our posts. Hanging a permanent or even temporary tag on another member can be funny but it can also be abused. Its a good party trick but I wouldn't like to see it as a permanent option.
    Maybe if there was a 2 week free for all name tagging period. Then fun could be had and if someone wanted to get something off their chest they could do so. After the set 2 weeks everthing goes back to normal.

17. Domh

Domh Full Member

Im of the opinion that the feature is not a good one - others disagree. Ultimately a decision will be made, and we will live with it. Its not a huge deal.

In the meantime lets please not bash each other over it.

:thumbsup:

18. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Perhaps you would prefer puke green?

[counting money, he-he] :happy:

19. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

IMO, it only remains fun if the changer agrees and takes it well. Otherwise it becomes "laughing at" not "laughing with"; and we can already see a problem developing.

Much as I hate to make more work for Ethics, maybe a "GA Dollar Name Change" switch (Yes/No) could be added to the User Control Panel. Or maybe a GA Store (Y/N) switch... just turns on or off Store functions for a user.

This way, those people who want to be friendly and don't mind taking a ribbing can play. Those who don't, won't. 'Course, no dollars should be lost if someone tries to change the name of a "No" person.

Just a thought.

20. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

LOL!
    My post was simply an attempt to illustrate, to the reasonable folks here, just how silly this whole concept is.

But, I did not, in my wildest dreams, think that I could reason with such a demented poster as yourself. ;)

Puke green is ok. I'm personally cooking up an 'x-rated poka-dot' for you.

Well done.
    Good 'jab', Robert.
    I owe ya. ;)

Regards,