1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politicians = Scum of the Earth

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by rowd, Nov 25, 2002.

1. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

<A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/25/opinion/25HERB.html?todaysheadlines">This</A> article just makes me want to puke.
    ......As if the drug companies were not already topheavy with political clout,money, and influence. I read shit like this and I wonder if we will ever get a handle on the government and the waste and fraud that goes on in the Houses of Power.
    This just burns my ass..............................

2. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Well, I will only say that WE ALL choose through our voting process, the leaders who make these decisions. I would say that the next few years will provide for uncontrolled drilling in Alaska, tax breaks for large businesses and educational facilities in oh, gee TEXAS. I can see that the Ashcroft years will be an event to behold, what with tapping our phone lines, monitoring our credit card and other purchasing habits, launching sattelites that watch every move we make . . .

mY ASS IS ALSO BURNED BY THE STATE OF AFFAIRS. bUT, THE ANSWER LIES IN A SIMPLE PROCESS CALLED (oops caps was on) voting.

3. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Yes. We choose through our voting process...but the dollar process has become much more powerful.

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

First off, I think it is ludicrous that this provision is in the Homeland Security Bill. It just plain doesn't belong there.

However, I am not convinced that that provision in not a good one. Perhaps there is something that I'm just not seeing here, and I'm sure someone will point out something I haven't thought of. The problem I see is that we have no way of knowing long-term effects of drugs until a large number of people use them for long periods of time. When it comes to LONG-TERM effects, we must allow ourselves to be the guinea pigs. If and when these side effects are discovered, they must be immediately announced so that appropriate action can be taken. As long as the companies who profit from these drugs are not hiding information from the public and are not lying(like the tobacco companies), I just don't see why they should be liable.

Let's suppose a new study shows that moderate use of Tylenol can cause people to get arthritis many years later. Well, good-bye Tylenol because you're going to get sued by every person who has arthritis(even if they never used Tylenol) and even some who don't. The consumers will win the case because Tylenol is a big, nasty, greedy corporation. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the fast food companies are going to be held liable for making people fat, but that's another issue.

Please, somebody explain to me how the developers of drugs are supposed to know what the long-term effects are going to be without actually having large numbers of people using their products? If every person who develops a rash from something is going to be awarded $10,000,000 from these big, greedy companies, isn't THAT going to be a nasty side effect for research and development of better drugs? Won't it pretty much be instant bankruptcy for these companies?

Again, what am I not seeing here? Am I just a greedy, republican piece of shit?

5. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Unfortunately and as usual the problem isn't just greedy politicians and drug companies. It's also the Trial Lawyers who see dollar signs in everything now and will sue anybody for anything! Of course the drug companies should get a pass if their research is above board.......however there have been some cover-ups and dirty dealings along the way involving Corporate CEO's and well known powerful politicians and half of them are members of the Trial Lawyers Assoc.
    It's not an easy fix ....but I do agree we have the power to change things with our vote.
    It's just really depressing to see this go on just after supposed Campaign Finance Reform took place..............
    reform my ass.................30 million from the drug companies in the last election cycle. There has got to be a way to seperate politicians from the money influence.
    I think politicians should serve their respective constituents for a minimal sum of money.........and pass laws that make term limits mandatory in all cases. Maybe if there is not such an incentive for public officials to enrich themselves we will start to get a new class of public servants that reflect the will of the voting public and not corporate America.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Rowd, good topic and one that pisses me off (especially on a Monday) to no end.

Here's a question to you, as well as others. What can we do to make this a less litigious society? Is there no way to reclaim our land?

7. eakes

eakes Registered User

To cut down on run away litigation: a start would be to adopt the British system of 'loser pays'. That is, whoever loses the lawsuit pays court costs as well as the winners legal expenses.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Simple, yet brilliant.

You, sir (or madam), should speak up more often! ;)

9. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Scum.........Earth...........

In my view there should be:

1. State Civilian Judicial Review board that has real teeth,.... that can call for or institute some kind of stop for frivolous and baseless lawsuits. (example) <small> sueing McDonald's because your too stupid to drink hot coffee!</small>

2. Massive Tort Law reform.

3. Caps on Jury awards for damages or mandatory review of awards that works some what like the GAO (i.e.) real dollar amount damages that can be documented for real losses.
    Not 50 million for pain & suffering or mental anguish,....not 30 million because your an idiot and rolled your SUV into a ditch and broke your legs,.......not 100 million to a burglars family because you woke up in the middle of the night and shot him to death because you were scared out of your skin.

4. Term limits for Judicial appointments & term limits for all judges and yearly report cards to be made public on individual judges and their record of rulings.

5. Mandatory Minimum $10,000.00 fine for bringing frivolous or baseless lawsuits to be paid by the Lawyer who filed and no possibility of purchasing insurance against such fines.

6. Overhaul of the FDA............it takes way too long (7 to 11 yrs.) to get a new drug through them and that is one of the reasons (besides greed) that a months supply of a drug cost you your life savings.

7. I could go on and on and on.......but I'm sure some others have better ideas. ..........<small> ...........how about kill all the politicians and start over?.............Naahh.......</small>:thumbsup: