1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politicians among us?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Nov 20, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

Who here has held, vied for, or at least thought of running for a publicly elected office? Why did you run, or if not, why did you not? Would you consider it in the future, and why or why not?

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

I am seriously considering a run for state legislature in the next couple years.

My home state is going down the shitter (im thinking thats a good campaign slogan) and I think that I have some ideas that will help to make a difference.

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I am actually President Bush posting under a pen name ;)

Seriously though when I was *younger* I aspired to get involved in politics. Sadly enough, the older I got the more jaded I became about politics in general.

If I thought I could be of service and actually accomplish something I would be more than willing to give it a try.

I think more and more genuinely good people do not even consider politics as they see the kind of harm that comes to many politicians, whether it be founded or not.

What you wind up with as a result are media loving whores in most cases who rarely have an agenda outside their own personal one.

4. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

I once considered politics, but lately I've been more interested in journalism than politics. I find it much easier to write about a topic than to argue in public about a topic.

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I had given it some thought a couple of years back, also running for state legislature. I reluctantly concluded that I'm not enough of a "people person" to be able to schmooze effectively enough to raise the necessary money.

I also have this unfortunate tendency to hold the general public in contempt......;)

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Somewhere there was an excellent primer on what you need to get popular votes. From the beginning of your campaign to the end. I'll try to find it and post it.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Here is a quote from that primer:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

;)

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

If any of you guys ran I would surely regain a bit of faith in the political process.

Stevent, your in PA :)

You have a vote in me...and a few GA dollars for your campaign fund if you need them too :)

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You know, it's comments like yours that let me know that at least some of my opinions and ideas have substance. It's really quite flattering, actually.

I love the interaction here, I really do. I would bet that if we could form a "think tank" of some sort, we could collectively do some real good.

10. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Steve you can borrow my snorkle gear, anytime. I'd vote for you.

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

No doubt in my mind at all.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I thought about running for some sort of office. I haven't done it yet because I would like to finish college and work in the field for a bit, to get a better idea of what exactly is wrong with CPS. I have my views, but opinions without experience to back them up is sort of .... well, dumb.

13. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I plan to move to PA.

Reading is a little too far, I prefer the Allegenies.

If you run stevent, i will larn two speack and vote for you.

14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I wouldn't recommend that anyone move to Reading!

The one office I would seriously consider would be Mayor of Reading, but there is a residency requirement. I live about 20 minutes from Reading.

The current mayor is a complete, inept fool. He'd be a joke, if the city wasn't already in such bad shape.

15. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Was that the one that was written by Gray Davis?

;)

16. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Please folks, don't stain your reputations by pursuing politics as a profession. While there have been some politicians that I have admired, that is the extreme exception. If you feel strongly about it I would encourage you only if you are not a lawyer. No offense but, lawyers writing laws has to be one of the biggest conflicts of interest that exists. Why more people don't see this, I don't understand.