1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politically Correct Feminism

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by RRedline, Nov 19, 2002.

1. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I know many of you probably think that Fox News is not the "Fair and Balanced" news source that they claim to be, but every so often they post a good article concerning feminism on their web site. I just read this article and some of the links within, and I have to say I am amazed at how feminists will trample over men's rights as long as it is to the benefit of women.

For anyone who thinks there are no negative effects of feminism, I encourage you to read <a HREF="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,70772,00.html">this article</a>. Contained within this article is a link to the fascinating story about <a HREF="http://reason.com/0211/co.cy.dad.shtml">Morgan Wise</a>. In the latter, I think the author sums up exactly how I feel men are treated by family courts in America in the last sentence: "But our current social policy all too often reduces a man to a cash machine."

Have any of you had to go to a family court to determine child custody and support? How have you been treated? I don't know even one man who ever fought for and won custody of his children following a divorce. It's been my observation that Pennsylvania courts almost always award custody to the mother(as long as she fights for it), and the father always pays support. Whether the father is a deadbeat dad or a loving father plays no role in determining child support amounts.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I've tried to raise this issue over-yonder but got beat up by a bunch of women. It felt so good that I wanted more but ran out of material.

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I hope Violet finds this thread because she and a few others over there beat me up as well on a similar topic. My first experience with her resulted in a private messaging battle involving several four letter words from both of us. I believe she even referred to me as a disgrace to the homosexual community(even though it had nothing to do with the conversation). I hope we're friends now, Violet? :angel:

I'm sure family law varies greatly from state to state, but I stand by my experiences here in Pennsylvania. Women most certainly do get treated better than men do with regards to their children. So many men are silent about this issue because they never had to deal with losing their kids to their ex-wives. The response I get from newly divorced fathers is usually something like, "Holy shit! I can't believe this is happening to me."

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

When I was divorced in 1983 I was advised by my lawyer that although the law said both parties had equal opportunity unless I caught her taking on the 5th fleet with the child watching I would not get custody in Alabama.

From the sound of things little has changed.

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

yes its lovely the way the courts treat families.

dad beats mom, and the courts ignore it.

mom cheats on dad and the courts make dad pay moms way for the rest of her life.

gee, i wonder why little bobby and suzy grow up all fucked in the head? gee, i wonder why they then repeat the same behaviors mom and dad exhibited?

ad nauseum.

ethics i want that damn vomiting smilie.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I think the problem is that as far as child support goes, I think that these women are having their cake and eating it too. If you are able to pay child support then I see no reason why you shouldn't get a visitation or at least partial custody. I say that if a woman wants total custody and does not want the father in the picture at all, he shouldn't have to send money. I have read many places where mothers keep their kids from their dad, and one day they decide they do want to see them. I personally feel that both parents play important roles in a child's development and that a child have both a male and female figure in their life. I got two parents, married, who live together all their lives. I relate to my mom in some ways better (we are both interested in politics, my dad wants little to do with that) whereas my dad we share an interest in computers, and he teaches me lots of cool stuff. My computer desk I custom built with my dad, and its better than any of the cheap crap you can get in the store...:happy:

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Even my ex-gf once told me, "It's a shame what the law allows women to get away with in this country."

She then fleeced me for $15,000.

SM

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

That sucks. I won't ask how she managed to do it because that's personal but from everything I've heard from financial shows and stuff, never get a joint account, or co-sign for anything until you are married, have a pre-nuptual agreement, and if you do co-sign for something also make sure you have some type of signed agreement...

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, these things happen...to stupid men who are easily manipulated by certain personalities. ;)

SM

10. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah Techie and when your teenage hormones, start interrupting the blood supply to the brain, you won't remember a darn thing about it. Love/Lust whatever you call it, makes all of us think that we are 16 again, with all the angst and cock-eyed optimism that we had then. Think of how many kids that are in your class that probably didn't remember to use a condom.

11. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Never having joint anything until you are married is excellent advise to all Techie! Breakups can be hard enough, let alone if court appearances are involved to resolve shared financial obligations. I have a couple of friends who made the mistake of getting joint credit cards or buying homes with girlfriends or fiancs. When the relationship ended, all they ended up with was mounds of debt and a bad credit score.

The prenuptial however is a little different. Many states are now "marital property" states now and all a prenuptial agreement will do is protect assets you had prior to be married. Anything acquired or earned during the course of the marriage itself is considered marital property and will be split 50-50 upon divorce. So, unless you are relatively wealthy prior to getting married, the prenuptial agreement won't be worth the paper its written on later.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think maybe the law is as hard as it is for men facing this situation because of all the deadbeat dads out there.

I can't really speak for my entire gender, but I can relate my experiences with the law - and to sum it up, women are pretty much screwed, too. I've had some bad things happen to me, and when I went to the police about it, nothing came of it. Without proof, there's nothing they can do - and even if you did have proof, the guy get's the benefit of the doubt because at the time the crime happened, I was in a relationship with him. So, I was S.O.L.

I know there are good dads out there, but I also know there are terrible dads out there, who think that once the marriage is over, they are no longer responsible for their kids. I guess the law was made as strict as it is to protect the children of men like that.

13. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I agree completely, but I take issue with the way good, loving fathers are treated. Many women get screwed over by men, and those men deserve to pay child support and not get visitation. But hoestly, the law seems to treat good fathers not much better than it treats the deadbeats.

Did you read the story of Morgan Wise? I posted a link in the first post.

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I've heard of the Wise story - heard it about a year ago.

I look at it from the point of view of the children - they need to be taken care of. This man acted like their father for 11 years - had it not been for the test, he would have still taken care of them. Yes his ex-wife royally screwed him over, but I don't have much sympathy for a man who can suddenly cut off emotional ties to 3 kids he thought were his and bring the battle to the public, forcing his kids to now have to put up with taunting and abuse from other kids at their school.

What's really going on in this particular case is 2 seperate issues - the man is pissed and doesn't want to take care of 3 kids that his wife had with other men. Perfectly understandable. However, these 3 kids know HIM as dad. Doesn't matter what the test says - Wise is THEIR DAD. He'll always be their dad. It must really suck to hear how your dad doesn't want to pay your child support anymore because he found out your mom cheated on him.

I do agree that DNA testing should be used to exonerate a man accussed of fathering a child - that is, before the father-child bond is made. After that, you're that kid's dad.

15. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Again, I agree with you, but I doubt that he wants to cut off ties with those kids. Regardless the situation, and this is just my opinion, but I don't think anybody should be forced to pay child support for children that he proves are not his. It goes against every moral and logical fabric of my being to suggest otherwise.

Let's keep in mind also that the man's wife won't allow him to see his kids. This lady must be a class A bitch to have cheated on him and had three children that she led him to believe were his. The lady is a fucking tramp and doesn't even deserve her own children.

At the very least, this guy should be allowed to see the children that he is financially supporting.

16. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Having been through the process twice, I think I have the ability to discuss this as someone who is "knowledgeable in his field"...

The first time I was raked through the coals... The ex moved 5 states away with my young son and I had no recourse... I tried taking her to court to force her to pay transportation one way so that I could excercise my visitation rights... While sitting outside the judge's chambers, I heard him tell the attorneys "I have never ordered a woman to pay for anything!"... *GULP* Case closed...

With my second (yes, I am much like the Cat in the Hat with an ExOne and an ExTwo) I did my own divorce... I researched case law at the library and wrote my own petitions... I even did a "pre-divorce settlement agreement" that the ex read and signed... I filed all paperwork, did the required court appearances, and the divorce was granted... I have joint legal custody, every other weekend visitation, dinners with my daughter at least once a week, alternating holidays, and 6 weeks visitation during the summer... Now that she has her driver's license, we see each other even more... And my child support is always paid a month in advance...
    I guess I was lucky the second time to have an ex who was reasonable and who's best interests are in those of our daughter...

BDD... :{)

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think your second realized that everyone benefits that way, BDD.

Glad, at least, that the second worked out.

18. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

My partner pays a third of his take home salary in child support for his two children, and the bitch and her new husband won't take the kids for new clothes at the beginning of the school year. I can't wait until May because my partner's daughter is going to come live with us finally(she didn't want to switch elementary schools). She is finally old enough to decide for herself where she wants to live, and she hates living with her mother and abusive stepfather. That means the support will be coming from the bitch instead. She has already said that she will quit her job and fight to not have to pay any child support. It serioulsy wouldn't surprise me if the judge refuses to order her to pay even $5 per month. The system has been 100% against my partner all in the name of what's best for his ex-wife.

19. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

The fact he made this case public, and brought unwanted attention to these kids and causing them stress, forced the courts to take away his visitation. He put his needs ahead of the children's.

I believe that he does love them - but he doesn't want to pay for them, and he publicly put them out there to be picked on by the media and everyone. That's really stressful for children. I think he demonstrated by doing what he did that he is not fit to have visitation right now, especially while this thing is still going on.

20. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The visitation issues are probably the tip of this nasty iceberg. In many states, once named the father, a man has 3 years to prove that he isn't the father or he becomes the father of record permanently. The only trouble with this is that there is no requirement to actually inform him that he's been named the parent of a child.

Once the three years are up, the woman can go to court and demand support and the court will order it. Even with absolute DNA evidence refuting the parenthood will not cause the court to overturn the support order.