1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police Tap 20,000 Cell Phones (no one knew)

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 6, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ha! Made you look!

Would you be surprised if I told you this wasn't in America?

The <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2387269.stm">BBC is reporting that German police</a> have been caught bugging cellphones at the expense of criminal suspects who found a unknown and inaccessible voicemail number listed on their bills that was being used to record calls.

Telecommunications authorities said that nearly 20,000 lines were currently being tapped.

Still think Americans are losing their freedom?

What would have happened if this occured here?
  2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

What kind of pizza was that you ordered??? You were a bit garbled at the end... must have been the other cell phones I was recording... ;)

BDD... :{)
  3. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

That question presumes that stuff like that does not occur in this country. But to answer it, if something like that could be tied to John Ashcroft, you would not have trouble finding volunteers for the firing squad.
  4. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Rumour has it that EVERY mobile phone sold in Australia can be tapped by the police and security forces by keying in a LLLOOONNNGGG list of numbers that directs a signal to the person doing the listening.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I would like to remind everyone, your email is being read
    (electronically) by "Echelon" and possibly "Carnivore" which
    for years the Federal government denied the existence of.

In fact, since it is illegal for our government to spy on us
    Americans, the British government was doing the work for
    us and we reciprocated.

To think your communications are not being monitored
    because the government tells you so, is a little naive
    based on their recent history.

Proving it might be a bit more difficult.
    Of course, this is probably all lies.
    Our government wouldn't do this,
    <i>would they?</i>
  6. jamming

jamming Banned

Interesting concept about how Echelon works, but wouldn't that be rather great, because we only get first informed by a foreign government that was once are greatest enemy and is now our closes friend. I know how you meant it Ken, but the reason we don't spy internally is to prevent abuses. But with receiving it from a foreign government then the stuff we get rid of all the junk that is inocuous. The British would of had to set up the same type of program for their own spying needs. I mean whoever was on the study group for that one saved dupication of effort, respected the purpose of the law, and we get notification of foreign cell interceptions in the US without opening everyone of our citizen's email.
  7. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Ah Jim,

Doesn't that mean that even though
    the law is being followed, it is legally
    being skirted?

Secondly, aren't we in effect doing
    everything DrSlash was concerned
    about? If so, where is that list of
    volunteers for the firing squad
    for John Ashcroft being kept?

Or, did I once again, miss something?
  8. jamming

jamming Banned

Not really skirting a law unless we are getting the raw intelligence. But the reason is not so much that our government should not be able to spy on those that betray us, but that they should not be able to use all the other personal information that might be uncovered which is none of their business. However, by allowing the British to do this for us we only see the end product. This is something the British would of been doing anyway, but by combining efforts we see only what we need to know, rather than the raw product which would of had in it all the problem data. Also this way, we can handle the European Union information for them which is something we would of done anyway. Presenting them only the information that is of concern to their security and safety, from addresses of the EU.
  9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I found <a href="http://intelligence.senate.gov/0210hrg/021017/hayden.pdf">this testimony from NSA Director Michael Hayden (PDF file download)</a>, in which he talks about how the NSA worked pre-9/11 and post.

"... Hayden tells Congress that they can best help him by going back to their constituents and finding out where the public wants to draw the line between liberty and safety."

I know it's slightly OT but was still relevant to the thread.
  10. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

All secrecy. No privacy.

It's not <I>spying</I>, it's being <I>monitored</I>.