1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poetic Justice.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Nov 25, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Proving once again, truth is stranger that is stranger than fiction.

A Charlotte, NC, lawyer purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured them against fire among other things.

Within a month having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars and without yet having made even his first premium payment on the policy, the lawyer filed claim against the insurance company. In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost "in a series of small fires." The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason: that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

The lawyer sued... and won!

In delivering the ruling the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The Judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer held a policy from the company in which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire, without defining what is considered to be unacceptable fire, and was obligated to pay the claim.

Rather than endure lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000.00 to the lawyer for his loss of the rare cigars lost in the "fires."

NOW FOR THE BEST PART...

After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!!!
    With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000.00 fine.

This is a true story and was the 1st place winner in the recent Criminal Lawyers Award Contest.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When I read this part: "After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!!!
    With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000.00 fine."

I made my cat jump, I was laughing so hard (he sleeps on my desk). That's sweet sweet SWEET poetic justice.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of that insurance company, would you? They deserve new business for that :)

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

It wouldn't surprise me if this story were actually true. It probably isn't, though. :(

And keep in mind that even if it is true, the insurance company got milked for $15K. And we wonder why our premiums are so high? I know, I know...greedy insurance companies...

4. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Although it sounds good (and it <b>is</b> funny), it is indeed false. This has been going around on the net for a while...

Snopes - Cigarson

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

DARN!!! I was so hoping it was true.

6. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Oh, now I feel bad.
    I should have checked the
    truthfulness before I passed it on.

I should have known it was too good
    to be true.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

and even if it were true, the only thing those blood sucking scumbag gangster mafia fuckhole insurance companies deserve is swift and painful death.

the fact that it is legal to make a business out of something that is inherent in the most basic forms of social governance is one of the greatest travesties in america.

the existence of the insurance industry is second only to the lack of proper parenting on my list of shit that needs fixin.

:mad:

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I guess I am biased on this one because I work for an insurance company. Since learning the ins and outs of the business and seeing the bullshit that our claims department and underwriters have to go through on a daily basis, my perception of the insurance industry has changed dramatically. What exactly do you feel needs fixed? Are rated too high? Yep. Do people get screwed? Not as often as many people think. Insurance companies get bent over and screwed everyday by people armed with unethical, blood sucking lawyers. These lawyers are much, much higher up on my list of things that need fixed.

By the way, I can't arge with your number one choice. I see no way to fix it without mandatory neutering at birth. :)

9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I understand the frustration people have with insurance companies from time to time, but I don't think I understand exactly what you are saying here Domhain.

Are you saying that Insurance Companies shouldn't exist? If so, are you then saying that our Government should be providing Life Insurance, Auto Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, etc to all citizens?

10. Domh

Domh Full Member

[gl]Abso-fucking-lutely.[/gl]

What does the federal government provide for each of us?

Lots of essential things, to be sure - many very important and needed things for which I am extremely thankful and for which I gladly stay in the high tax bracket I am in.

Not to TOTALLY hog tie the thread, but - why cant the government offer COMPREHENSIVE protection to its citizens?

Its completely fucking insane. End the litigious madness, end the insurance companies proxy ownership of our lives and well being, and put TRILLIONS of dollars back into the hands and control of the people who earned it.

Will I pay even MORE in taxes for a comprehensive social insurance plan? Abso-fucking-lutely I will.

The existence of the insurance industry as we know it is indicative of a great failure on the part of our still experimental and still very young government.

:mad:

11. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

And considering that our Government can't even run Social Security correctly, how on earth could they possible handle that without making it a bloated, bureaucratic mess?

Sorry...but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. There is no way in hell I want our government controlling private insurance for me.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I feel the same as Domhain, but towards health insurance companies. Talk about getting screwed... These companies pick and choose who they want to cover - the least likely to get sick, of course - then charge an arm and a leg for coverage. And heaven forbid you get sick - they'll raise your rates the following year, double or triple your deductible, and then threaten to drop you if you use it again. AND if you DO get dropped - take lots of echinecea and eat all your veggies and pray to God you don't get sick or hurt in any way, as no insurance company will touch you if you're not lucky enough to get health insurance at your job.

Any other business, it would be called extortion. But because it's health insurance... *ulcer acting up*