1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plumbing!!!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by joseftu, Jan 2, 2003.

1. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

My wife demanded a new kitchen floor, and guess who got to remove all the cabinets and appliances, the sink, and tear up all the old linoleum?
    That was bad. Very bad.
    But even worse...
    The hardwood floor is in, looks beautiful, and I'm hooking the sink back up in the new cabinet.
    Trouble! During the work, the sink had to sit out in the backyard, in the freezing cold. Should have been fine, right? Wrong.
    First, the hot water line leaks. OK, I replace that. Then the cold. Replace that. Then I realize that the connection to the drain was a ridiculous mishmash of metal pipe, pvc, epoxy putty, 90-degree angles, pieces of pipe bent and crushed with pliers to make them fit, and other surprises.
    I spent two days fiddling with it! Three trips to Home Despot! Every time I got one joint leak-free, clean and tight, another one started leaking...even some that were never outdoors at all!
    I finally realized...I'm an English teacher, not a plumber.
    Now I'm finally giving in...talking to a real plumber. He says, "wow, that's a mess. That's never going to work!"
    But the worst part?
    $500 :cry:

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Jeez!

Just goes to show you that the sink makers really do have ties to the plumbers union. :)

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Try another plumber. If it's simply a kitchen sink and it is already roughed he is raping you.

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Listen to Midranger, he knows what he's talking about.

5. joseftu

Thanks...I'll definitely get a second estimate. But it's definitely going to be more than I want to pay (which is nothing!)

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I say you give it another shot Joseftu.

With a fresh pot of coffee and new found motivation (500 smackers) I have great confidence you will be able to get the job done !

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Tell your wife to do it. It was her idea to start with, wasn't it?

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

LOL Robert !!!

GREAT IDEA :)

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Bad Robert, BAD!!!

:happy:

10. Robert Harris

What's the matter, Misu. Don't you think a woman is capable of doing it? :)

11. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Robert, I wouldn't go there if I were you... ;)

12. joseftu

My wife said,
    "Ha! Very funny! Now call another plumber!"
    So I gave it another try myself, but it was beyond me. Somebody, some time, had tried some "repairs" using epoxy putty. That made it impossible for me to remove and replace the trap (necessary because of a very tight, improvised, "s"-curve between the trap and the sink drain. I cursed, skinned open the knuckle that had almost healed from removing the linoleum, and called another plumber.
    This one said $225. Still a lot of money, but quite a bit better than 500. I just wish I hadn't wasted two days worth of blood, sweat and tears!
    Oh well, it's fixed now! And the kitchen job is over budget.
    But, the way I look at it, I saved $275!!!! (Thanks to you folks)
    So that will buy a lot of sushi!

13. Robert Harris

Gee, if I don't go there I will never know what indescribable joys might be waiting for me... :thumbsup:

14. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Glad to hear you at least saved a couple bucks Joseftu.

Now get busy in that bathroom !!!

15. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You're a glutton for pain, Robert :haha:

For your information, I, being the woman that I am, and considering I have an injured back, do a lot of physical work around the house (except for regular housework, which Alf will more than gladly verify). I will try to fix anything that breaks - however, if I recognize that it's beyond my abilities, I will call in an expert. I will shop around until I get the best price. And if the best price is still more than I'm willing to pay, then I'll go back and try to fix it again (at which point I would succeed, of course ;) ).

16. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

In reflection...

17. Robert Harris

My wife has a bad back, too -- and she does none of those things. I must ask Misu to teach her to do plumbing and carpentry.

I of course will not do housework, however, that being woman's work. So we have hired a nice lady to come in occasionally to do that sort of thing. That way I have the time needed for correspondence with the lovely ladies here. :)