1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop scratch disk issues

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by mrRT, Dec 5, 2002.

1. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Photoshop can be a very moody program to run, especially when it comes to scratch disk issues. I started this thread for Sharon, but thought other PS users could benefit also.

A couple of links to get you started thinking about how to optimize that area.

This link talks about how to check what the scratch disk size is set at...and roughly how to calculate what it should be

"to effectively "play" with a 25 mg image, you should have about 100- 200mgs of free harddrive space. "

Another lLINK I found talks about how to setup up where the scratch disk is located and how important it is to keep that drive defrag'd.

When you get to the Preferences menu in PS...check out the Memory and Image cache settings...make sure you have enough system memory allocated for use by Ps...Remember its a memory hog and wants all it can get its hands on..But when given a ton of memory it runs flawlessly.

As I find more I'll add to this thread.

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

As an addendum, Ive been a Photoshop poweruser for a very long time.

Any questions or help needed, IM me anytime.

;)

3. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Excellent .....

Photoshop help is always appreciated....

:)

4. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Okay, I have questions for my new Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows XP home and I have 256mb of ram.

I have over 30g of open hard drive space.

It's a pentium 4 1.0ghz processor.

What should the virtual memory be set at?
    What should the scratch disk setting be? Can you provide a screen shot of your setup if it's similar?

5. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Sharon,
    Sorry for the delay in post reply. Was busy doing the re-format here.

Here's a couple of screen shots. Let me know how you make out with it.

6. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

screen shot #2 of mem config & cache

7. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

guess it helps to include screen shot..hehehehehe

8. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

last one is of my v mem setting. I am also using XP as the OS here

9. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Thanks for your efforts MrRt - I will give those settings a try over the next few days.