1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet Therapy?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coriolis, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I'm sitting at work today and get this email from the "all user" messaging service (edited slightly).
    My initial reaction was disbelief, then I thought -- ah! must be joke of the day! Nope. It was legit. So I'm wondering to myself, why would a large world-renowed hospital like MGH be treating dogs in in-patient services?!? Don't they have veternarian hospitals in Boston, for Pete's sake?

ROTF, it turns out I was a little off the mark, and obviously a bit behind the times in Complementary/Alternative Medicine these days. If you care know what this is about, read <A HREF="http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/g2603/0005/2603000585/p1/article.jhtml">here</A>.

Has anyone any personal experience with this? Do you think it's a valid form of treatment, or just another wishy washy CAM method?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's proven that it works. I've worked with some of the dogs that went on into the program. The residents/patients love it.

3. Coriolis

Cool. Are they usually big dogs (which I prefer) like retrievers, labs, and such, or small dogs like terriers? Or both?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Can be any breed as long as they pass the temperment test and school. I've worked primarily with the larger breeds, but have seen smaller dogs in the program.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

They had this at the nursing home my grandmother was in.
    The joy and life that the residents would exhibit when the dog was in the room was amazing.

6. Coriolis

I imagine the dogs like it too. Every dog I ever had was a big ham bone when it came to patting.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

My research lab was based on therapy dogs - almost the entire grade in that course was based on the research my group did on this.

If you're interested (and if I still have it around), I can send you the works cited page we used for our paper, so you can read up on it. It's quite a fascinating field, and it's very hard for animals to make the cut.

8. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I did some work in an assisted living facility a few years back. They had a program where the therapy dogs came in a couple of times a week. I don't know which group got the most joy out of it: The dogs or the elderly residents... :)

BDD... :{)