1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pesky Stubborn Computer

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I got my Uncle's Father In Law's Computer (Money to whoever gets the official name of the relation) since October. It will not give in. No matter how much I format the stupid Gateway it will not take a clean install of Windows. I swear I've tried to format and install at 11+ times and it has not worked correctly any of them. I guesstimate I'm currently on attempt 12. I really don't want to have to tell my Uncle its a lost computer. Did I mention I hate Gateway?

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Buy a new hard drive. :)

SM

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yah, that's what it sounds like to me.

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Where is it failing in the install and what type of error are you seeing? Are you getting blue screened or is it just hanging?

I've seen numerous reasons for this type of behavior. Bad HD, Bad RAM, improperly seated RAM, corrupt installation CD, etc.

5. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

What version of Windows are you trying to install?

[Maybe dumb question] Have you F-disked? I don't think Gateway is one of the PC manufacturers that does this, but some have a hidden partition that will make it impossible to install a retail version of Windows. A proprietary OEM version that came with the computer or an upgrade of that must be used.

Could there be some kind of harddrive overlay on the disk?

Windows XP balks at installing on PCs with bad RAM or incompatible hardware.

Have you tried a barebones install? That is with only minimal RAM, video card, CD-ROM, mouse and keyboard connected.

Just some thoughts from one who regularly messes up computers and learns this stuff the hard way.

6. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Need some mor einfo on theis Techie... Which OS are you trying to insatll?? and where exactly does it fail.

One of the things those Gateways are famous for is DUST COLLECTION.. Make sure that you have taken the cover off that thing and blown it clean (well so to speak..hehehehe)..pay specific detail to that power supply. Gateways are proprietary supplies and notoreous for sucking up dust....Also blow off the board and be sure that RAM is clean and well seated..

Let us know what goes on...shouldn't have had to reformatt so many times...maybe an issue with the HD also..

but I think everybody else said these things too ;)

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yeah I cleared out the dust. I finally got ahold of another Win98 CD and CD Key and that's having problems too leading me to believe the CD-ROM is crapping out. I'm going to dig into the spare parts pile and pull out a CD-ROM I can throw in it to see if that will fix it...

8. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

If the CD-ROM is not the problem, try the next old stand-by: Swap out the RAM bad RAM gave me a heck of a time installing Win98 on my old machine. I kept getting a weird error that was completely unrelated to memory. The error would come right at the end of the install. Took me close to a week to get it figured out(I was still new to computers then);).

wapu