1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

perspective

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by bruzzes, Jan 4, 2003.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people can be. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?" "It was great, Dad." "Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked. "Oh Yeah" said the son. "So what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

With this the boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks dad for showing me how poor we are."

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

If any of you go to an underdeveloped country, or a 3rd world country, one constant will smack you on the face and you will be scratching your head for many nights.

When I travel to the less traveled and less known countries, the people--according to our definitions and our comparisons-- are poor as dirt. But the happiness!!!!

I never understood that when I travelled outside of the US. In Middle East, the entire neighborhoods are your family. You borrow and lend when and if you have it. They do the same. The joys of not knowing of what they COULD have, leaves me befuddled many many times.

3. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Do you think it might have been more effective if he had taken the child to a poor family in the inner city?

<small>The first thing that came to mind when I read this.</small>
    Thanks Bruzzes.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Possibly dmdvt, but not necessarily.

As ethics states, and as many of you know, family values and love far outstrip monetary value and material possesions.

Many people have very little yet are rich beyond their means. Rich, because those values that they hold so dear are given out freely.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I am going to second Ethic's comment.
    Originally from a upper middle class neighborhood and having been to the favelas in Rio De Janeiro, I feel I have seen both ends of the spectrum. I will forever remember a neighbor's mothers sadness before she committed suicide, even though she lived in a mansion (originally built for a member of the Rockefeller family) who had more money than most Americans will ever understand. She also had an abusive husband coupled with an alcohol and prescription drug "problem". What she really had was a misunderstanding of what makes people happy.

If I ever have to choose who to ask for help, rich people will be the last people I would go to.

The biggest question facing us today (or forever for that matter) is what makes us happy? This is something TV advertises as though every soft drink in the world is the answer to everything we crave. We have become so materialistic that I don't believe most Americans even realize when they're happy, let alone what caused it.

I wish I could tell everyone what the secret is. As soon as I find out, I promise to share it.

Maybe, the correct thing to do is apply for a federal grant. As this is something important to every American, I believe the government should give me $50 million dollars to research the problem.

Excuse me, I have some grant writing to do.

6. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I was born and raised in "the inner city", although it was a bit different when I was younger than it is now. My father worked hard, drank hard, and provided for his family (as long as Mom got his paycheck before he drank it all up...). Although a bit lean on the material goods, we enjoyed the richness of "neighbors", who were in effect, an extended family. Although out of sight of my mother, I knew better than to try any monkey business, for I had dozens of "aunts" all around who would flip me to my mom in a heartbeat. We not only knew our immediate, next-door neighbors but the neighbors next to them, and next to them, and next to them, etc. All were in the upper-lower class or lower-middle class. It was a "working man's" neighborhood. Our families could not afford the lavish and extravagant toys so we found other ways to entertain ourselves. When was the last time you thought about playing "Kick the Can", "Hide and Go Seek", or following a meandering creek to find just the right place to wiggle your toes in the water?? Yes, I was spoiled as a child... not by things which could be purchased, but by love from my family (both immediate and "extended") and a zest for life...

It is said that money cannot buy happiness... I believe it for the most part. Some of my happiest times in my life, I've not had the means to purchase a pot, nor a window big enough to discharge the pot's contents.

BDD... :{)

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Glad you folks are so comfortable knowing that the poor are really happy.

8. ethics

Inner city is different. They know what's out there and for one reason or another can not achieve it. That does not equal happiness.

I am merely speaking of people who do not know any better. Ignorance is bliss and all of that.

9. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I am sorry if people have missed the point of my little story.
    It is titled perspective.

Without perspective, one misses the point.

10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Out of the mouths of babes, as they say ;)

11. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

You are kidding right?

Bruzzes,

I enjoyed the post immensely as it does, as you so eloquently point out, make one wonder what really defines *rich* more than it demonstrates what *poor* is.

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

The story is cute. And, of course, money does not always buy happiness just as lack of money does not always buy misery. But cute, fuzzy feelings about community solidarity among poor people and the like, or about their access to the wonders of nature, etc., does not eliminate the facts that the world is loaded with kids suffering from malnutrition because their families cannot afford food, or suffering diseases because trhey do not have access to clean water for drinking or sanitary purposes, because of poverty -- their own family poverty or community poverty. That perspective needs to be recognized, too.

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think Bruzz's tale was meant to remind those of us on this board that there are more riches in the world than can be found in what we buy with our dollars. I don't believe he meant for any of us to be comfortable that the poor have neighbors.

14. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thanks ShinyTop,
    That is exactly what I meant.

I do get a kick out of seeing how a "cute little story" can be so miscontrued as apathy to the world's poor. What a quantum leap in supposition. Sometimes a simple sentiment is exactly that; a simple sentiment.

15. ethics

It's those damn liberals, Bruzzes, it's the damn liberals again!

;)

JOKING!!!!

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Nice story Bruzzes. Of course this doesn't necessarily have to be a rich/poor story. Plenty of people with money have their weekender with the horizon as their back fence. One doesn't need to be ignorant of the value of getting back to nature simply because you are wealthy. In fact I think the tale could be turned on its head somewhat. I'm sure that if the poor could get out of the ghettos they would love to get to the countryside.

A lot of the poor come to the cities from the counrty seeking work and wealth. They often find the opposite.

17. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

"Money can't buy you love, but you can rent it by the hour."

j/k sortof.

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Money isn't everything, but its way out in front of what's in second place. Also, even though it can't buy you happiness it can make you a lot more comfortable in your misery.