1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peppered Tuna & Wasabi Mayonnaise

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Jan 13, 2003.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Some fish eaters, particularly tuna lovers, may balk at this due to the strong additives to a subtle tast of tuna. But its one I love.

1/4 cup black peppercorns
    1 pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons ground Coriander
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh Thyme
    1/3 cup chopped fresh Parsley
    8 x tuna steaks preferrably blue fin cut to 3/4 inch thick
    Vegetable oil

Wasabi Paste
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    2 teaspoons white vinegar
    2 teaspoons wasabi paste
    Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Lightly crush pepporcorns. Add pepper, salt, coriander and herbs to bowl & mix well. Coat tuna with pepper mixture. Heat oil in pan, add tuna steaks and cook slowly to maintain the moisture content. Serve with wasabi mayonnaise.

Serve with a mixed salad and potatoes or whatever turne you on.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

i do a very similar recipe quite often, but i prefer to use a much thicker piece of tuna and cook on very high heat (i like mine very rare inside, and this decision is just personal preference really), and if the spices seem overpowering to anyone a nice way to get around this is to only crust 1 side of the tuna with it and grill that side first ... but anyway you slice it pepper crusted tuna is truly a treat!

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

You bet. One of my favourites.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

I had something like this at a Restaurant in Port Canaveral, the outside was just seared and it was very good.

[mover]:happy: :happy: :happy:[/mover]

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I agree. The wife, however, likes only certain types of seafood. This is something I will have to enjoy myself. She'll have to settle for lobster, crab, or shrimp. ;)

6. jamming

jamming Banned

I am sure she will settle mikepd ;)

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

No doubt.! She and her mom inhale lobster while her dad does the same thing with shrimp. She just recently began eating crab as she's finicky about what she eats. Her GI system is sensitive to a lot of things so she has to watch it. I enjoy cooking dishes that can expand her culinary horizons yet won't cause her problems.

8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I haven't forgoten the lobster thermidore Mike.

9. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

It's odd that the only seafood your wife likes are the scavengers, Mike! ;)

Don't let anybody tell her what these creatures eat, or she'll not want those, either!! :haha:

10. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I don't know if you guys have heard of scrapple. It's a ground pork product. Mostly a Philly, Pa and surrounding area thing. Very good. Don't read the ingredients though. Everything but the squeal. Same concept ;). We can get it here due to the northern transplants (like us) but not the really good brands. You want to stay away from the ones that have too much cornmeal in them. Cut into 1/4" slices, fry (cast iron skillet is best, non-stick second choice) unitl golden brown on both sides. serve with either horseradish, maple syrup, ketchup or clear karo syrup, your choice. Great breakfast item or snack! We like it anyway.

11. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

smells fishy

:happy:
    Way ta go wif da fish :thumbsup: