1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pepper spray campus police officer awarded compensation

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by damonlab, Oct 24, 2013.

1. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Don't do what the officer tells you to do, be prepared for the consequences.

3. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

You don't think the spraying was completely disproportionate for peaceful unarmed protesters that were on the ground?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Nope. Fail to follow the directions of a police office, expect bad things to happen.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

We had this discussion. I find it appalling that people just get in their tents and go with whatever beliefs they had. No one wants to be challenged, no one wants to hear opposing views.

Facebook nation.

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

What is it about pepper spray that you think is so absolutely terrible, terrifying, horrible, that would warrant a 1 million dollar settlement?

You know, all it does is irritate your eyes and sinuses. It's not lethal. I promise you, within a couple hours, they were just fine.

I mean, I'm not saying I think he needed to do it, but let's get a little perspective here. It's like what people think whenever they hear of someone being tased. You know, it's an electric shock. It is not lethal. It is uncomfortable, but let's not act like it was the end of the world for the person. It wasn't, and neither was this pepper spray all as horrible as the students made it out to be. They acted like they were scarred for life. They were not.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's not even the point. He was doing his fucking job, but the loony Commies went after his family with death threats, stalking, etc... He was depressed and had insomnia for months if not years. I am only pissed he didn't get more.

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

My point is that the loony commies have this mindset of making everything so fucking emo that they cannot think rationally, and they should realize that maybe... just maybe... things aren't all worthy of their prototypical panic response.

They got hosed with pepper, it irritated their poor widdle eyes, and it was no big deal. I promise. It was no big deal. I've done it. I've been tased. It's no big deal. Lefties are ALL acting like Chris Matthews.

9. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

My first objective is to avoid ANY encounter with the Police.

If I do get stopped, I keep my mouth shut and do what I am told, for three simple reasons: The officer's baton/taser/pepper spray ("non-lethal" options), firearm, and radio. I do something he doesn't like, he can beat the crap out of me with the baton. If that doesn't work, he can shoot me with one, several or all of the variety of firearms he carries. What scares me the most is the radio. Because if he says "Officer needs help" into it, there will be 27 other officers on me like white on rice. And they will skip that "non-lethal" step entirely.

I have several friends who are in LE. Local police, FBI and ICE to name a few. I have heard stories from them that have convinced me that in their official capacity, they are not my friends.

I remember about one story related to me, where a couple of ladies got rowdy at the local Wal-Mart. The officer Maced both of them, handcuffed them and took them to the local detention facility. Even after being Maced and handcuffed, they were still rowdy and screaming about police brutality and they were going to sue. The officer at the detention facility allowed them to clean themselves up before their mug shots were taken, and one of them managed a cute smile during the picture. Which destroyed their case in court when they did press police brutality charges. They looked a lot better having cleaned themselves up and put a bit of makeup on before the pictures were taken.

I like and appreciate LE officers. For what they go through, I don't think we pay them enough. However, I don't trust them ever to have my best interests at heart during an encounter. I realize that I am not going to talk my way out of a ticket or arrest. I also realize I will dig myself a deeper hole if I say more than the absolute minimum I have to. Do not fight with the police. They will win every time.

If I/you believe you have been unjustly detained/arrested, you bring it up in any court proceedings with as much documentation you can to support your case.

If you have a problem with over-reaching police powers, take it up with your legislator, not the police. The police are paid to enforce the laws the legislators pass, it doesn't matter if the officer likes the law or not.