1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pebble Watch

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, May 18, 2012.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Pebble watch, have you heard about it? Want it bad but know that they are sold out? There's an awesome site that will tell you if one of the 85,000+ buyers put theirs on sale and you can snag it via Kickstarter (you need to sign up on Kickstarter).

http://igoramado.com/pebbles/

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Nope. Never heard of it. While it's a neat concept, the battery life would be a deal breaker for me.

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Black ones just became available.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaand now they're gone.

4. ethics

7+ days? Good enough for me.

5. Biker

6. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I have the original Kickstarter Pebble. I would be all over this one if not for its lack of Windows compatibility. I do have a 3rd party app on my phone that lets me do everything I could with my Android phone but that app has to be active to keep connection due to a security feature that has been toned down but not taken advantage of yet on Windows Phone.

The Pebble itself is fabulous. It performs its set of tasks and performs them well. Having a vibration alarm rather than an audible one is astoundingly more useful. For the year plus that I used this with my Android phone I never needed to take my phone off of silent. This is an outstanding feature when working in a classroom environment. No ringtones or alerts to disrupt the class and yet I never missed a message or important call. For communicating with my wife at the stadium during Sounders matches there was no better solution as an audible alert is useless with 34k-68k fans cheering.

The best part of the Pebble was that they looked at the features that it made the most sense to have on a convenient second screen for your phone and kept the device focused on that while providing the tools for developers to do more or improve what was already there. The e-paper like display drew hardly any power and provides a crisp clear image day or night thanks to a Timex Indeglo like backlight. This allowed the Pebble to be a focused device with a definite purpose, a week long battery (sure not years like a standard watch but infrequent enough to not be a nuisance) and water proof. Plus, not having a camera and having an airplane mode allowed me to take it on base. Oh and it tells the time, at all times.

Most of the current generation of smart watches are without this focus. They try to do everything and fail at most of it. They have high resolution color screens with touch sensitivity. They have cameras. Some make calls and don't require a phone, many allow speakerphone like functionality but still require a phone in range. They run full blown phone operating systems and have tech stats to match. Their screens draw so much power that they have to be off most of the time which requires you to turn them on to simply check the time or look at a notification. The processing power that they bring to bear allows more advanced apps than the pebble but that also means they are susceptible to malware. Their battery life is measured in hours and not days or weeks. These highly expensive and powerful marvels of technology not only lack water resistance, they suggest not sweating while wearing some of them. Plus a camera attached to it means these watches must wait outside while in a secure environment.

I am sold on the Pebble, just not Android or iOS so I will watch this one with interest from the sidelines. If they add Windows support in the future I will definitely buy another Pebble. But I am not holding my breath on that one.

7. Brazbit

backers

$7,273,474
    pledged of $500,000 goal

days to go

Not bad for a few hours...

8. Brazbit

4 days remaining over $19.5M from 75,800+ backers. Nice numbers for a small company that is operating under the shadow of OMGAPPLEWATCH! This isn't a field that only the big dogs can exist in, people just need to remember to get the device that fulfills their requirements best. If they do that many can coexist in a healthy manner. If not, this will become a supremely boring segment of the device market.

9. ethics

I ordered mine when it came out. The nicer option one. I think it will be much more useful to me (and not get me mugged in the process) than Apple.

10. Brazbit

Please let us know how that works out for you. I found my first generation Pebble incredibly useful and is the only thing I miss about Android. It is easy for people to mock the usefulness of a smart watch until you actually use one for a bit and find it completely alters your relationship with technology.

11. ethics

One of the perks of going back to Android was Pebble benefit explosion. :)

They should be shipping this summer, will post pix and reviews.

12. Biker

Fitbit Is Close to Buying Software Assets From Pebble

Looks like they're pretty much done. The smartwatch craze has pretty much died out and this is probably the beginning of the purge with only the strongest companies remaining.

Smartwatches have never really appealed to me. Too damned big and just another thing to plug in at the end of the day to charge up.

13. ethics

Yeah announced today they've closed it down and Pebble owners are basically SoL. Pebble was very basic, I've stopped using it many months ago. When you realize that most notifications are not even needed your life becomes so much better.

14. Biker