1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl Harbor Remembered

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikepd, Dec 7, 2002.

1. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

This is the 61st anniversary of the 'Day of Infamy'. Drops of oil still leak from the Arizona. I posted the following at another site but felt it was worth mentioning here.

As most of you know, I am now completely disabled and the medical problems which later led to my disability caused me to be classified 4F from being 1A with a lottery number of 69 in 1972. If drafted, I would have served gladly as this country owes me nothing and I owe it everything I hold dear.

I would like to thank all who have worn the uniform (and wear it today) for protecting the freedom which allow me to write these words on this screen. I have known those who not only saw combat but those who did not and impaired their health by staring into radar hoods for years, worked with technology that the risks were not as well understood as they are today and so to all- THANK YOU.

The Flag has flown 24/7 in a sheltered, lighted area outside our home since we first got it back in Jan. 1999 in accordance with the rules of Flag Etiquette.

Memorial Day is not a holiday. Just as today we are again reminded of the sacrifices made in our name by people we do not know so we can exchange ideas freely in this forum.

Let us also remember those who soon may once again be placed in harm's way so that we may continue to enjoy that which we all to often take for granted. There are many in this world who would not even understand the concept.

We are indeed blessed.

Mike

2. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Thank you mike.

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Beautiful thought Mike, thanks.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

My draft number was also 69, but in the year 1968.

I joined the US Navy in Sept that year and served two years at the Naval Air Station in Meridian Mississippi.

Sent to Viet Nam to serve out the rest of my 4 yr enlistment.

I thank my History teachers for the education that afforded the background of this wonderful country and giving me the privilege to serve her interests.

Thanks for reminding us that our freedom didn't come cheaply.

5. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I have always felt, so very deeply, the greatest of respect for the men and women who defend and have defended my country. Thank you, Mike, for putting it into words here...

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Mike. as always your words about Veterans are eloquent and direct to the point. Your not being there reminds those of us who were that what we did will be remembered. For as long as you remember our brothers and sisters in service and the ones who today are the keepers of the flames, we will be a strong nation. A strong nation in our people.

Operation Enduring Freedom: The Opening Chapter streaming video
    I hope you like this (it is better with DSL)

7. mikeky

mikeky Member

I just watched the 1943 film <i>December 7</i>. Very powerful, made at a time where they must have felt similar to the way we feel today about 911.

8. EMIG

EMIG Yup

The things you learn from your children

In telling our 4 year old why he wasn't going to preschool on Memorial Day, we had to explain that the day was set aside to honor those who died in war.

The day came and went, and we told him it was time to get ready for bed. He said "But we didn't honor those people!" He was right. We'll do better next year.

I'm still looking for a good way to explain war to him, BTW. The best I've come up with so far starts "sometimes people decide to shoot each other..." No, I didn't actually say that to him, I weaseled out like I remember adults doing so often when I was a child.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

EMIG, to a child, I think the best way is to use the good vs. evil thing. I know there's no such thing in real life but in order for them to understand this better, that line needs to be drawn for them.

BTW< Glad to see you back here, was wondering about you and Fritz as well. :)

10. jamming

jamming Banned

I suggest that you explain War, to a four year old as an extension of police like activity. "Soldiers and Sailors protect us from bad people from another country, to do that they sometimes have to use guns and bombs." Yes this is an oversimplification and you can get into causes and other issues as he gets older. Just letting him know there are people who protect him from the people who would do things like 9-11, should help him sleep at night. I am borrowing this from my Dad's explaination of the Vietnam news when I was a kid, its not perfect but it works until they are older to understand more shades of grey.

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Hehe, Jim, great minds think alike? ;)

12. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah, You old man and my Dad.

;)

13. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I beg to differ. Just look in the mirror and you will see one staring back.

Mike

14. jamming

jamming Banned

Not me Mike, I am in Denial. ;)

15. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Exactly why someone has to kick you in, what I believe is called, the 'six o'clock position' and remind you. ;)