1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Security - Revisit

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

After a week of running Bitdefender, I'm rather impressed with it. It hasn't intruded once during the times I've been using the Windows side of the machine. It's behaving much better than it did when I tried it earlier on Windows 7.

I think I'll be pulling the trigger on the actual paid license later this week and install it on the other machines.

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

Hopefully it will continue its level of performance and not fall into the pattern of prior MS products or features. Just two examples: IE used to be the best browser. (It really was if you go back far enough in time. It eventually blew Netscape off the user map.) Microsoft Security Essentials was initially very good and free. Now MS doesn't even recommend it.

3. Biker

Yes, we know that. And Bitdefender is not a Microsoft product.

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

Thanks for pointing out my reading error. Where you stated Bitdefender I read Defender. Defender got such a great review from the IT guy that ethics quoted:

What is the best antivirus to go on a new computer? • /r/buildapc

Therefore, I thought it would be relevant and helpful to make my comment. My mistake on one, not reading correctly, and two making the extra bad mistake of not realizing that everyone else knew that defender/MSE was history.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Don't mind Tom. He's been cranky since 1992.

6. Biker

Get it right. 1984

Allene likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

:rolf-53:

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

The only reason IE ever made inroads against FF is because IE shipped with the product (Windows) and you had to know about and download/install FF to replace IE. That gave IE an incredible home field advantage.

IIRC there were heavy legal actions in EU against MSFT for this practice.

It looks to me like Chrome is eating a pretty big hole in IE. I'd like to know what the real browser market would look like without MSFT having the home field advantage. Unfortunately I cannot think of any way to determine that.

I have Opera and Safari and near as I can tell they both suck. (I use them for cross-browser website design checking.) I never tried Chrome.

9. Biker

Well, Bitdefender just went to the junk heap. Starting last week, I started getting "Update Failed, error -3" when the software attempted to update the definitions. Even after nuking it, running CCleaner, and reinstalling, the error persisted. Posted something in their forums over the weekend and heard nothing but crickets. Got to looking at earlier posts, and their support is pretty much non-existent.

It's a shame. I was impressed with the minimal impact on resources with that one. So, I'm giving Avast another whirl to see how it behaves and see if they've made improvements since the last time I used it.

10. Arc

Arc Full Member

Sorry man. It's pathetic how many AV or malware products all seem to either go bad at certain periods or go bad for one year or another only to a couple of years later rise from the ashes to quality status once again. (Some never do rise again.)

I hope Bitdefender's "problem" isn't contagious to all of its OS platforms the various versions are written for as it's easily one of the best if not the best AV for OS X.

11. Biker

**sigh** After nearly a month of using Avast, I'm ready to nuke it again. Still does the "in your face" advertising begging you to upgrade to the paid version. Fuck that. The hilarious part is Avast is using the recent Congressional action on ISP privacy as a FUD method to get you to buy their full fledged product. Pops up with a huge "you need privacy!" ad, completely disregarding I'm already using a VPN. :banghead-72:

12. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I still use avast. I get the popups and I keep getting one that says my computer is almost out of memory. uhhh...no. I don't think so. But, I just keep clicking the X :)

13. Biker

Well hell. I decided to give Zone Alarm a shot since they're now owned by Check Point (yes, they're not just a firewall any more and include AV services with the firewall).

Wasn't too impressed with the setup as it immediately blocked the PC from accessing anything. A minor tweak here and there solved that.

HUGE impact on resources and start times. Took forever to boot up and it also impacted program start times.

I've pretty much decided to just use the MS defaults. As I don't tend to spend much time in Winderz to begin with, I'm not going to stress over it. Highly unlikely I'm going to get a nasty while playing SWTOR. :yellowlaugh:

14. dsl987

dsl987 Member

15. Arc

Arc Full Member

MS Windows AV has massive vulnerability. Windows says it's fixed. How many times have we heard the same song and dance from MS over the years?

Here is what I'm reminded of when it comes to MS and such issues.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    dsl987 likes this.
  16. Biker

Considering many of the alternatives out there aren't much better, it's a crap shoot.

Even with setting the defaults, MS defers much of the tasking to Malwarebytes. Not sure I'm wild about that idea as Malwarebytes isn't an AV solution.

But still, the old notebook is much happier by taking some of that bloat off.