1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Security - Revisit

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The full version may be different. But I haven't paid for an anti-virus program in over 10 years and I'm not about to start now.

Installed the free version of Avira. We'll see how things go with that.

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I had to pull Bitdefender a couple of days ago. It was the only change I made to my system, and a day or two after I installed it, I started getting a "Cannot connect to a Windows Service." It started working fine again as soon as I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall it.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This thread went no where.

So let me try again.

Spybot S&D is good but failed miserably in my test of acquiring one nasty malware (on purpose).
    MalwareBytes is even more useless now. Didn't pick up shit.
    MS Essentials still worked but by the time it notified me with an alert, the PC was fucked with malwares.

The free AV's DO NOT pick up a lot of the Malware, they just pick up virus sigs.

jimeez likes this.
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have the Pro version of MalwareBytes. It seems to do a good job.

5. Biker

Spybot S&D has been at the bottom of the decent list for quite some time now. It's been years since I've even looked at it, let alone used it.

For malware detection and prevention, there are four rather simple measures to take that will pretty much kill 99.999999% attempts to install malware on your machine.

1. Rip out Java by the roots and never install it again.
    2. If you can't remove java due to needing the environment (Open Office, programmer, etc.), at least disable it in your browser.
    3. Install adblock plus.
    4. Install noscript.

Most malware comes from advertising. Remember the most recent Yahoo clusterfuck? That was all dished out via ads. I'm finding AdBlock Plus is a better malware preventative than any of the other programs out there.

6. ethics

I would add go over your extensions list. Found out recently that HoverZoom for Chrome was collecting and selling your data.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have AdBlock Plus. I've had it ever since my spectacular crash three years ago. I haven't installed noscript. Please give me a legit link for that. I have something done to Java, but forget right now how to get there to double-check it.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

What should I be looking for in the extensions?

9. Biker

I have the bare minimum installed for plugins/extensions. AdBlock, Clippings, Firebug, Lastpass, VLC link and DuckDuckGo.

10. ethics

11. Biker

I'm beginning to toy with the idea of just removing everything and go to periodic scans.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/malware-threats-making-anti-virus-software-‘totally-useless’

I think by using common sense and blocking advertising/scripts on websites, you're going to eliminate the majority of risk.

And whitelisting isn't the answer, either. All that's going to do is put the emphasis on hacking into sites that are listed as good so malware can be injected.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

I believe in reactive anti-malware and periodic scans too, combined with my blocking sites (via hosts file method) that give me a bad feeling, or ever ever trigger a malware alert. I have hundreds of sites blacklisted in my hosts file.

The latest threat is iLivid and other "download managers" offered by more and more, now almost most download websites. Perhaps some may be benign, but when I download a .ZIP or .RAR file and get an .EXE file I figure it's time to blacklist the website. Note that some of the more popular websites (Uploaded.net for example) have a check box "use our download manager" (by default, checked) that gets you an .EXE file if you forget to uncheck it.

Everybody with a Windows computer should uncheck the setting "hide known file types" (like, um, .EXE).

rockotman likes this.
  13. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

This has been my standard practice since Win95.

14. Biker

So, I've been getting quite a few requests to recommend free solutions. The more I read about Microsoft's solution of Defender, the more I'm hesitant to recommend leaving it as the status quo.

So I got to digging around and one I see popping up over and over again is Panada's free offering. Hmmmm, sez I. Let's go check it out.

First I hit their website. It's not secure. Strike one. If, as a security company, you're too damned lazy to purchase and display a proper SSL certificate on your site, you aren't getting many brownie points in my book.

So then I hit the download link for their free version of software. Guess where I ended up? CNET's download.com. Oh HELL NO! There is no fucking way I'm even going to contemplate using a software package that's hosted there.

So until Panda pulls their collective head out of their ass and starts doing things properly, I'm not even tempted to use their software. I don't care if it gets the best scores ever.

15. Biker

ROTF!

No sooner did I post the above and this pops into my inbox.

bitdefenderemail.PNG

Ya know? I may give their free version another whirl on Windows 10 and see how it behaves. If it's decent, 15 bucks for a 3 PC license ain't half shabby. Lord knows the child needs it on her notebook. >.<

16. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Nice. I have three teenagers who seem to be relatively smart about what they click on, but they're still teenagers, so I bought a three-user license for the paid version of malwarebytes, and I'm currently using Hitman Pro on their machines. The latter takes care of an annoying IE search engine hijacker that my oldest seems to download now and then.

17. Biker

I got to looking at Hitman Pro and it seems to be more geared towards a second line removal tool rather than a first line of defense. How has it been working on those machines?

18. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Yeah, it a second line of defense. But I like it because it runs quickly and it finds stuff. I'm in a holding pattern on first line of defense -- besides the paid version of malwarebytes, I'm still using MSE.

19. Biker

I've dug into the guts of Windows 10 and prevented Defender from running. So far, the free version of Bitdefender has behaved rather well on this machine. More so than it did under Windows 7.

I'll fire up Diablo in a few and see how it behaves then.

20. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I'm still a fan of ESET. We use it at work and I use it at home.