1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Security - Revisit

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 13, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Whenever I have to clean a system, I use Avast, Malwarebytes and Spybot. Then I put Comodo on it and show the user what to do with it.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ya know? That REALLY pisses me off to no end. MSE has been something we've been recommending to WoW users for some time as well, mainly because of its light footprint on a computer system.

Avast? Nope. Unless they've gotten better with their adware trying to con users into purchasing the "Pro" version, I won't be going back to them, either.

Guess I need to search for a new AV program that fits in nicely with Malwarebytes.
  4. Biker

Comodo is another package that can burn in hell. If they can't secure their own SSL Certificate servers, there's no way in hell I'm going to trust their software.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Avast is crap, bro, has been for a while now.
  6. Biker

I've been hearing good things about Bitdefender and they have a free version. Going to give this one a whirl and see how it stacks up.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Tom, please post your recommendations here when you decide. I've been using MSE too. Thanks.

8. Biker

First impressions.

It's a noisy sumbitch! Freakin' popup notice from the system tray every time it does something. Not seeing anyway to turn that crap off, either. We'll see how bad that gets. >.<
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Which program are you referring to. I would hate whatever is doing this. I like them to do their thing in the background.
  10. Biker

11. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I'm using Ad-Aware Free, it got decent reviews. I read that the BitDefender free might not be the same "engine" as the paid program which got top scoring.
  12. Biker

That makes absolutely no sense at all, especially from a development standpoint. Whoever stated that didn't know what the hell they were talking about.
  13. Sir Joseph

It was a review magazine, which made me wonder as well.
  14. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I wonder if the the link in the OP explains the barrage of emails I've been getting from McAfee lately. I haven't had their software in years but just started getting email spam from them in the last two months after not getting squat from them in at least a year.
  15. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Been sticking with MSE and the occasional run of Malwarebytes, along with NoScript on Firefox and Ghostery on Chrome.

I run a lot of deep scans with MSE on the kids' PCs. A couple of them are always downloading mods to Minecraft, and so many damn websites want them to download a "download manager" first. They're pretty well trained not to do that.
  16. Biker

Day two of Bitdefender free and things have settled down. Update went through with no nagging message this time. Nice.

Some thoughts so far on the product.

First, the interface is about as bare bones as you could get. There are just two options. Virus Shield and Auto Scan. And the options for those two items are on or off.

You get 30 days of use without creating an account to register the installation. I went ahead and registered it by creating an account.

The online dashboard has nothing to do with the anti virus software and appears to be a thinly veiled attempt at getting you to install more products from the company. Some of these look intriguing, but completely unnecessary for my installation.

So far so good. I'll post further updates as I run across things good or bad.
  17. Biker

Welp, that didn't last long at all. Decided to play a wee bit of WoW and the damned AV program kept forcing the game into a minimized state. Screw that. Off it comes. **sigh**
  18. Sir Joseph

There might be a setting for that. I am using Ad-Aware Free and somewhere in the settings is game-mode which would stop notifications and minimizing games.
  19. Biker

20. Sir Joseph

Oh well. I was thinking of switching to BitDefender because ever since I installed Ad-Aware my PC has slowed down a bit.