1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paying Ransoms, Europe Bankrolls Qaeda Terror

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Have to thank our European weenies for this. Apparently they didn't get the memo from Israel about how you don't negotiate with terrorists?

While European governments deny paying ransoms, an investigation by The New York Times found that Al Qaeda and its direct affiliates have taken in at least $125 million in revenue from kidnappings since 2008, of which $66 million was paid just last year.

These payments were made almost exclusively by European governments, who funneled the money through a network of proxies, sometimes masking it as development aid, according to interviews conducted for this article with former hostages, negotiators, diplomats and government officials in 10 countries in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. The inner workings of the kidnapping business were also revealed in thousands of pages of internal Qaeda documents found by this reporter while on assignment for The Associated Press in northern Mali last year.

Put more bluntly, Europe has become an inadvertent underwriter of Al Qaeda.

For me, this is the 64,000 dollar question

Several senior diplomats involved in past negotiations have described the decision to pay ransom for their countries’ citizens as an agonizing calculation: Accede to the terrorists’ demand, or allow innocent people to be killed, often in a gruesome, public way?

Here's my problem with all of this. I can understand when this first started, but then you put in a warning for your citizens NOT to go to country A or B or C... If they do go and get kidnapped, I am sorry for your loss. You know why? Because when you finance a terrorist organization in this way, you are killing more than just one person.

Kidnapping for ransom has become today’s most significant source of terrorist financing,” said David S. Cohen, the Treasury Department’s under secretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, in a 2012 speech. “Each transaction encourages another transaction.”
    And then this hits the bullseye:

“The Europeans have a lot to answer for,” said Vicki Huddleston, the former United States deputy assistant secretary of defense for African affairs, who was the ambassador to Mali in 2003 when Germany paid the first ransom. “It’s a completely two-faced policy. They pay ransoms and then deny any was paid.” She added, “The danger of this is not just that it grows the terrorist movement, but it makes all of our citizens vulnerable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/w...-becomes-al-qaedas-patron.html?ref=world&_r=0

2. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Obviously, the "Continentals" didn't learn from their experience with Hitler...

You don't make a bully leave you alone by appeasing him, you make him leave you alone by kicking the living shit out of him.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

Pretty good comparison as well.

Notice down the the article as to whom the terrorists don't kidnap because their countries DON'T pay ransom? US and UK.

4. ethics

Guess who negotiated to get one of the Journalists free?

Unreal. I've never seen a more fucked up administration.

Please don't get me wrong, I care about the people kidnapped, and it's a shame there's a choice between shit and shittier but you don't make things shittier. I am sorry for them but this will open the floodgates, immensely.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leon, did you forget the link?