1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panko bread crumbs

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

For those who enjoy deep-fried foods, I highly recommend Panko brand Japanese-style bread crumbs. These are coarser and lighter than the breadcrumbs typically found in supermarkets. They seal the food nicely, keeping the oil out, making for a nice light, airy deep-fried result. Their flavor is neutral and the texture is crunchy. You can buy them here.

To use, whisk together two eggs plus one egg yolk, and a little milk, to make a liquid that is not too runny.

Dredge your meat, chicken, fish, etc., through some flour, then through the egg mixture. Quckly coat on all sides with Panko bread crumbs and deep fry until golden brown and the item floats.

Drain on paper towels.

For some nice variation, try adding various dried spices to the flour or, add various flavorings in small quantities (such as some dashes of Tabasco) to the egg mixture.

Enjoy!

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Mmmm...delicious.
    Here in Brooklyn, you can buy them in many of the corner (Korean) greengrocers, too.
    Interesting factoid...the name "panko" is a Japanese version of the Portuguese word for bread (which didn't really exist in Japan until the Portuguese came).
    At least that's the folk etymology I learned.

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I didn't know that! How neat! My mom discovered them when we were stationed in Japan, when I was a young teenager. She made some delicious things, let me tell you!

Best compliment she ever gave me on my cooking was "Your boneless chicken [deep fried in Panko] is better than mine!"

4. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I'd never heard of them! I've always used Progresso if I didn't make my own...