1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paline's Naive Stance

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Domh, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

"McCain's position on contraceptives and teen pregnancy issues has been difficult to judge on the campaign trail, as he appears uncomfortable discussing such topics. Reporters asked the presumptive GOP presidential nominee in November 2007 whether he supported grants for sex education in the United States, whether such programs should include directions for using contraceptives and whether he supports President Bush's policy of promoting abstinence.

"Ahhh, I think I support the president's policy," McCain said.

When reporters pressed McCain whether the government should provide contraceptives or counseling on contraceptives, he replied, "You've stumped me." McCain said later that he was sure he opposed government spending on contraceptives.

In 2006, McCain joined fellow Republicans in voting against a Senate Democratic proposal to send $100 million to communities for teen-pregnancy prevention programs that would have included sex education about contraceptives.

The McCain campaign on Monday did not respond to repeated requests for information."

Draw your own conclusions.

All I can say is that McCain would do well to a better job remembering certain things.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Palin's Naive Stance

And this is the only criticism I will make in regards to her 17 yr old pregnant daughter. Actually, it's not even about her daughter but about Palin herself and her stance on teen sex.
    Sarah, Sarah, Sarah... How many studies does one have to go through in order to understand that abstinence teaching and opposing education on contraception is not something that's fool proof. As a matter of fact, your daughter is an example.

Well said, Ruth Marcus, well said.

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

5. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

My friend has just found out her daughter is pregnant, she just turned 18.

I immediately sat down with my son and had the conversation and ended with, I WILL NOT babysit, I WILL not provide financial support, NO you WILL NOT be living with me and throughout the day I hit play on this
  6. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

There is nothing that is fool proof.
    Unfortunately, IMO, there are many many people who feel the same as she does.
  7. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

And it's naive as well to believe this isn't a huge situation in this country and the world as well. Teens will have sex whether they were 'raised right' or not. To hide the options from them, is taking away the 50% chance that they will be able to avoid pregnancy. Some people act like teachings about the options to be safe should one decide to have sex as a teen, like it's saying it's OK. If everyone would just join on the matter and come to an agreement on how far things should go, well it might help teens a lot. I guess it can't be done though because birth control is considered like abortion to the extremely religious. :(
  8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

So Sarah Palin's child being pregnant is proof that a parent believing sex ed belongs in the home is an idea that doesn't work.

So I guess then that the thousands and thousands of teen pregancies every year is proof that public school sex ed is also a failure.
  9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

But we also have millions and millions of teens who did not and will not get pregnate. How do we judge the failure of a certain action, based upon numbers such as these. And when it failure can take one action while success often requires repeated actions. I think we're doing OK, with room for improvement. I don't want to pay for teenagers rubbers, thats for sure.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Texas Resident Alien

Sex education is about as effective as DWI education - No matter how much you pound the consequences into people's heads they're still gonna do it! Teenagers don't listen to adults anyway.
  11. Violet1966

Sex ed only being taught in the home is going to leave many teens out in the cold. Yes it is the parent's decision once again, but sometimes they just aren't in touch with where their own children might be sexually. By the time they realize it, it could be too late. I'm sure there's some excellent parents who might have left out some info and it was too late when they realized it.

I'm curious what percentage would want their children taught in school a little as well as at home. I don't think I've ever seen any polls or anything relating to that.

Depending on what the school teaches and how far the teacher can go without repercussions, sex ed which is based on reproduction, might have failed. I really don't know. I guess we'd have to look at curriculum and see what's the basics that are in schools right now for the most part. The most I've seen with my own education and my kids has been basic teaching of reproduction and male/female anatomy. Mr sperm meets Ms egg type stuff. Ejaculation and egg availability. Talk of females getting their period and what it means.

I have no idea what Palin's daughter was taught, but some parents seek out schools they agree with as far as curriculum goes. 58% use the comprehensive approach and inform students of all aspects. The other 42% choose abstinence only.

Republicans for the most part believe that abstinence is the best route right? You hear it a lot in people like Palin and McCain currently, and Bush believes the same as well. Well, it's leaving a lot out and that 34% of schools could be where we get higher numbers of teen pregnancy? Who knows though really.

It just seems dangerous to sit back and expect teens will not have sex. Many of them won't, but there will be many that will. They should be informed somehow.
  12. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Guys, I was being facetious. I think sex ed belongs in the schools, but I do NOT think that someone's daughter getting pregnant is proof of anything except that the daughter had sex. That's what young people do.

And I think if someone believes that sex ed belongs in the home, that isn't necessarily a thought process to be scorned. After all, a parent taking responsibility for the education and welfare of the child? Especially with a topic involving morality, like sex? Perish the thought! We should all be so involved with our children.

But don't for a second think they're listening, either to parents OR teachers.

If Sarah Palin believes that parents are the best ones to deliver sex ed material, I'm not gonna condemn her for it, even though her daughter did get pregnant.
  13. Violet1966

What annoys me with any candidate running for anything political is when they don't see there's another side, and they themselves could possibly have influence on changing things in their favor. For the everyday person, it's not much of an issue, but when it comes to people in government, I'd like to hear they respect both sides. That's really what I have a problem with.
  14. cdw

And that's a fact Jack. :)
  15. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

My conclusion is that our government spending $100MILLION of us citizen's tax dollars, to tell teens about contraceptives and pregnacy, is ridiculous.
    I'm glad McCain voted to save us taxpayers the money.

This is the PARENTS job!
    Or, I suppose, some teachers can mention it to their students, if they choose.
    But, why would THAT cost $100MILLION????

No, McCain voted against an unnecessary $100MILLION taxpayer expense, NOT against sex education of teenagers.
    THAT education shouldn't be dependent upon one dime of the taxpayer's stipend.

It's part of the responsibility of raising one's young, and way too important to be delegated to our government.
  16. Violet1966

I personally don't see any need for those funds either to tell you the truth. No idea why they'd need that money to begin with for such a thing. The present teachers who handle sex ed should be able to handle such a thing, I'd think.

I believe he and Palin are against it all together though. As in they don't believe, even if it's worked into the current sex ed programs, that it should be taught in schools at all.

If it's not costing anything more than is spent already in schools and just worked into the current classes pertaining to sex ed, why not allow it if it keeps some teens off of welfare because they have to turn to government to help them support their child/children?
  17. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Dohm, thank you for this. Others support Obama here but without your threads I'd probably miss most of what was posted at Kos and CommonDreams. :p
  18. Domh

Domh Full Member

19. cdw

20. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I wish that once - just once! a Presidential candidate would respond to the abortion question, something like this:

"Abortion rights, even birth control, are both individual matters and, as such, necessarily belong to the voters to decide. My personal views are not important and I won't discuss them. Rest assured, however that I will vote my conscience at the polls and I encourage all citizens to do the same."