1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Palestinian Movie Snubbed by Academy Awards

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Omar, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Omar

Omar Registered User

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will nominate films for the Oscars on February 11.

<a href="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=679&ncid=742&e=1&u=/usatoday/20030124/cm_usatoday/4808093">One movie that will not be even in the consideration is the Palestinian film, Divine Intervention, a comedy about the relationship between a Palestinian Jerusalemite and his West Bank girlfriend during the Israeli occupation. </a>

The academy told the American distributor of Divine Intervention that it's ineligible for Oscar considerations because "Palestine" is not a country recognized by its rules. But the academy has accepted entries from Taiwan and Hong Kong, and neither are states. Further, Palestine has had observer status at the United Nations... since 1974 and is recognized by more than 115 countries.

Is the Academy being hypocritcal? Isn't this form of recognition and enlightening of the situation better than terrorism? Why wouldn't America encourage this more?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Strange.. Article I read here a few days ago on it said that they were late in submitting it to the Acadamy and that's the reason it wasn't included. I'll see if I can find the reference.

3. mikeky

mikeky Member

Some reviews I've read said it's very interesting. Shame it won't receive consideration.