1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paladin's simple potato pancakes?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Violet1966, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Please? LOL

I love potato pancakes and can never get them to come out right when I make the cookbook recipes.

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

Start with you standard four sided grater, the one with the fine holes on one side, the course holes on the next side, the three slicing grooves on the next side, and the shreader face on the last side.

Peel about four or five pounds of potatos. Grate using the course side into a large bowl. Using the shreader side shread in a couple of medium onions. Add three or four eggs (without the shell.) Add about a teaspoon of salt (more if you are so inclined but the doc said for me to cut back.) Liberally sprinkle black pepper on top to about 75% coverage (I've never actually measured any of this.) Mix well. depending on the water content of the potatoes add Bisquick to a nice dropping consistancy as noted later.

I use a low sided 10-11 inch square pan. Medium heat. melt a dab of margarine. drop two tablespoons of batter which should spread out to about four inches diameter. four times. Go read a couple of messages on the laptop. peek to check that bottom is nicely browned and flip. Read a message. place pancakes on a plate, put plate in warming oven. Add a dab of margarine to pan. Drop two tablespoons of batter four times. Read a message or two. Flip. Etc..

Pictures the next time I make 'em -- if I remember.

Edit 2/8/03 -- pictures at: http://www.andruschak.net/cooking

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Latka's? Is this what this is?

4. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Yep, without the globs of oil though.

5. Paladin

Since I am Ukrainian on my father's side, and since I learned to cook from my father....

6. ethics

Ukranian? Cool! :)

My dad was the only one who cooked these and they were spectacular. Funny how I recognized the lovely "smell" of them in this thread. :)

7. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

That's funny. About the only thing my father <i>can</i> cook is potato pancakes (although he does do a mean stuffed salmon), but he's of Scottish descent.

8. Violet1966

Oh I like this recipe already. It's so much easier to remember things when it's not so specific in preparation. I think I'm gonna remember this one already. anything with bisquick in it, tastes yummy. LOL

I can't wait to make these this weekend. Gonna make them with kilbasa dinner. Thanks for sha <strike>t LMFAO sun</strike> ring Paladin. I always had a soft spot for potato pancakes. I could eat them 7 days a week if I could make them taste good enough. Now all that extra weight I'm gonna gain, is your fault ;) LOL

9. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

:eek: He shat???? :eek:

<small>(Sorry, Vi, I just couldn't resist!!)</small>

10. Violet1966

LMFAO And you know you should never shat where you eat ;)

Oh sun I'm cracking up so hard it hurts ;)

11. Violet1966

Well that didn't take long. I was cooking up some goulash and saw the bag of potatoes staring at me. Then started hearing the theme from Have Gun Will Travel and that was all she wrote ;)

I have to say Paladin that recipe is excellent!!!!

I had to omit some things and add some others. For instance, I omitted the laptop and added lots of stair clibming and diaper changing. A few bottles washed and a bottle given. Dishes put away, some laundry set to soak. Oh and add in a make a cup of chocolate milk for the little one to keep her out from underfoot. LOL Bribery works every time ;)

Excellent, excellent, excellent !!! They are in the oven and I'm hoping hubby comes home soon so I can help him devour them. My daughter loved them.

I highly recommend this recipe. Oh and you know you inspired me to actually use one of my appliances too. I actually used my Cuisinart today!!! I hadn't touched that thing in weeks. It's rare I use it but I thought it might come in handy for this and it actually did. Thank you Paladin :) :thumbsup:

12. ethics

And there we have it! The first tried recipe on the board. :)

13. Paladin

Also check out the fried saurkraut. I don't think boiling kielbasa requires much explaining.

14. Violet1966

Oh wow thanks Paladin. I didn't see the update with the links till just now. Have to check it out and try it. This coming week will try it :)