1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overpopulation Effects and Possible Resolutions

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Tracy Coleman, May 10, 2017.

1. Tracy Coleman

Tracy Coleman New Member

My environmental issue is overpopulation. The world’s current population is 7 billion as of October 2011. The world is being populated with excessively large numbers which has many negative effects on it and humans. China has 21% of the world’s population. Poor living conditions are lead by overpopulated regions such China. China has a “one child per family” policy which states the soon to be parents much obtain a birth certificate before the birth of their child. Special benefits are offered to the parents if agreed to only have one child, if they have more than one child they are punished by being taxed up to 50% of their income and loss of employment and other benefits. Also unplanned pregnancies would have to be terminated. To reduce the negative effects and problems of overpopulation, I’ve came up with a few ideas to help resolve. They are to end all policies that reward parents based on the number of children they have, integrate lessons on population, environment and development into school curricula at multiple levels and to offer age appropriate for all students.
    dsl987 likes this.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

China HAD a one child policy which was phased out in 2015. Only 36% of the Chinese population was rigorously restricted during the policy, and while the Chinese government will tout the policy as effectively decreasing the birth rate in China, studies are indicating that fertility as a whole has been declining since the 1970s.

Birth rates in the US have been on the decline since the end of World War II. The countries with the highest birthrates are also those considered "3rd world" (Niger, Mali, Uganda, Zambia, etc.). Education won't amount to a hill of beans in those countries.

Overpopulation is not an environmental issue. The average worldwide has been dropping steadily for years now. In fact, the lack of a decent birthrate for the US is going to have a very detrimental effect on the economy within the next decade or two. It will have an even bigger impact on Canada, where the birthrate is even lower than the US.
  3. anajames

anajames Full Member

Adverse effect of Overpopulation, No education, Not enough food to feed, Not enough jobs, you just cannot cater to everyone to provide health facilities.
    And i do believe it is an environmental issue, Birth rate can be going down for a multiple of reasons. And i think it is a good thing.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

In order to sustain a healthy economic growth, you have to have workers ready to step in when the older workers retire. This is not happening now. As a result, there are going to be repercussions across the globe.

Fewer workers mean less taxes collected. This means fewer schools and a huge hit to pensions and health care for those who are retiring. With fewer workers, the economic growth stagnates which will impact wages, fueling a vicious circle. If those who are working are spending less, and there are fewer workers for productivity, guess what happens to the economy?
  5. anajames

anajames Full Member

Nose dive in to the big hole. That is where the economy will go. I have a similar stance as yours.
    dsl987 likes this.
  6. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Just to give a scale of how "overpopulated" the planet is, you could give every person currently in the world a 1/4 acre in the Lower 48 US states. That is enough land for a person to raise their own food. That leaves the entire planet depopulated except for the US. Does that give you a scale about how "overpopulated" we are?
    Arc likes this.
  7. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Those numbers look awfully low.
    I'm too lazy to do any serious research so I'll depend on that bastion of college research otherwise known as wikipedia
    Population density - Wikipedia

" ....The world's population is around 7,500,000,000[3] and Earth's total area (including land and water) is 510,000,000 square kilometers (197,000,000 sq. mi.).[4] Therefore, the worldwide human population density is around 7,500,000,000 ÷ 510,000,000 = 13.7 per km2 (35 per sq. mi). If only the Earth's land area of 150,000,000 km2(58,000,000 sq. mi.) is taken into account, then human population density increases to 47 per km2 (120 per sq. mile). This includes all continental and island land area, including Antarctica. If Antarctica is also excluded, then population density rises to over 50 people per km2 (over 130 per sq. mile).[1] However, over half[citation needed] of the Earth's land mass consists of areas inhospitable to human habitation, such as deserts and high mountains, and population tends to cluster around seaports and fresh-water sources. Thus, this number by itself does not give any helpful measurement of human population density....."

Like I said, I'm too lazy to verify with a real source, but it does appear to be nowhere near giving everybody a 1/4 acre in the Lower 48.
  8. MemphisMark

US Land area: 3,531,905 sq mi, subtracting Alaska (663,268 sq mi) and Hawaii (10,931 sq mi) = 2,857,706

2,857,706 / 7,500,000,000 = 0.000381 sq mi = .24384 acres or 10,621 square feet. 331 sq ft short of a 1/4 acre (10,290 sq ft)

I wasn't being literal, as there is a lot of the US that is not inhabitable (the desert, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. ;-) ) but rather to give a scale that you could see on a world map.
  9. Arc

Arc Full Member

There are parts or sections of the world that are over populated. But the combined land areas of those particular place are but an extremely small fraction of the habitual areas of the world.

Bottom line is planet wise we are no where near being over populated IMO.
  10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

We are well beyond our ability, or at least the world's governments' ability, to house, provide health care, and feed the population we have. That feels like over population.
  11. MemphisMark

You used the correct magic words. "...the world's governments' ability." We have become so intent on the national governments reach and scope that we forget about the local-level of government.

Another thing is there will always be a left side of the curve. We have tried multiple times throughout history to eliminate the "low" side, not realizing that we can't.

Some don't want to leave that part of the curve, some are truly unable to (disability, etc.). Some have fallen from the right side of the curve to the left due to life events. Most of us travel back and forth along this curve as we progress in our lives.

It is our duty to help others. But not at the cost of injuring ourselves or family. It is also our duty to help ourselves before we ask for help from others.
    jimeez likes this.
  12. Arc

Arc Full Member

Beyond the word's governments' ability? Or should we say beyond some of the world's governments' desire or dedication to do so? Big difference. And in more cases than not regarding the government's in question I strongly believe it is the latter. How else does one explain overall an entire continent such as Africa that generally speaking is a cultural and socio-economic shit hole? So much so that the rest of the world's countries have given up on the continent long ago.
  13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Europe ran or owned most of Africa for a long period of time. They did little to prepare the local population to run their own countries. When they reluctantly gave up their holdings (read financial) they no longer cared and ran like the proverbial rats. Since then the world, to include the good old USA, has backed governments in Africa for political advantage, not for the betterment of the African people.