1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overenthusiasm!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Nov 24, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

In "COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Police fired tear gas and wooden
    pellets to break up rioting by college football fans who set
    fire to cars, threw bottles and burned furniture in the streets
    early Sunday in celebration of Ohio State University's victory
    over rival Michigan."

Read about it here.

All I can say is if this happened after a rock concert, people
    would be screaming to shut rock concerts down.

How the hell much can you love a bloody football game?

(Ducks and runs for cover)...

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

LOL!

Fan is short for Fanatic.

But in all seriousness, (btw, it's not only ok to use "but" in the beginning of the sentence, it is encouraged by many authors--writer tip for the day I am passing along) I could never get in to sports in such a way that I would be doing stupid things like this.

Anyone a huge sports fan here that can show us the window in to this mentality?

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

-Ken, this is a great topic to discuss. I agree with you 100% that it is not necessarily fair to attack rock groups when their fans get too rowdy. Where are those same people who oppose heavy metal concerts now? Why aren't they on TV talking about how evil college football is?

The whole riot mentality for disappointed fans after their teams lose baffles me quite enough. But(thanks for the tip, ethics!) I don't even know where to begin trying to understand the OSU fans for behaving as they did after their team won.

Are we going to get to the same level of "enthusiams" that many other nations already have with over their "football" fans? Personally, I feel that anyone who is caught instigating or participating in a riot should be slapped with a very hefty penalty. And if it is a college student who is found guilty, I feel that they should be expelled instantly. You have no idea how much damage and chaos and fear is caused by these types of situations until you find yourself in the middle of one. It is truly terrifying, and we should not tolerate it. (Hey, I guess that makes me intolerant?!)

4. ethics

Here's One Story of Fanatics

Why bother getting in a shouting match with a referee when you can just sue him instead?

Michael Coteau of New Brunswick, Canada claims that his son Steven "was so crushed after losing the New Brunswick Bantam AAA MVP award at a banquet in March that he lost his love for playing hockey."

Apparently being a sore loser has caused him and his son enough "psychological and punitive" damage to sue the Little League Hockey Association for CD$300,000 (US$200,000).

Michael also goes so far as to demand "that the MVP trophy be taken from the boy who won it and given to his son, Steven, as well as the league's playmaker award, which was awarded to a different boy" and "to be guaranteed a spot on the New Brunswick Canada Winter Games roster." "'How do you justify that?' Croteau said. 'It's quite obvious he's the most valuable forward in the league.'"

LOL! For a barrel full of pucks of laughs...

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

This is Ohio. We had the Who concert here where many people died just due to how they let them in. We will not shut rock concerts down, and returned to festival seating just last month after 20 years.

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Here's One Story of Fanatics

I read quite a few articles about this several weeks ago. At first, I was was like, "Whatever!" But after reading more, it really does seem to me that this guy's son should have been selected for the awards. I am wondering if there wasn't more to this story that would justify passing him up for the awards? Perhaps some of the story was intentionally left out?

By the way, I generally agree that people who sue over their kids' sports are complete idiots.

7. -Ken

-Ken Guest

You mean like the hockey dad who killed someone
    over a kid's hockey game?

Like, how to set an example of good sportmanship
    and fair play. Way to go dude!

8. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I'd give a year's worth of paychecks to see someone make a serious attmept at trying to shut down any football game in Texas... especially high school or college football.

9. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

unless you are from this area you just don't know how intense the rivialry is between Ohio state and michigan. Michigan has been a spoiler for Ohio state so many times it ain't funny. this doesn't excuse these students but take a bunch of stupid kids and mix in 12 hours of drinking with an Ohio state victory over Michigan and the results are not surprising at all.

10. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

CNN interviewed by telephone a 19y.o. student journalist who was there with a video camera. The police saved him from the crowd.

The adjective he use to describe their actions several times throughout the interview? 'Silly'

That says it all about how serious that age group takes responsibility for their actions.

Throw students resposible for torching the cars out of school for good, bring criminal charges against them, civil charges against their alleged parents if they are minors and otherwise hit them with the maximum possible.

I, for one, am sick of this kind of mentality. I saw way to much of it when I was in the medical field and had to help clean up the mess.

People need to be held accountable for their actions and not given a little slap on the wrist and told don't do this again.

The same time this went down, fans elsewhere celebrated a victory by trashing a field, tearing down goalposts, trampling each other and being otherwise disorderly.

Hell, in Europe, soccer fans start riots that require police intervention with automatic weapons. British fans get banned on a routine basis.

Stick them all on AOL and let them watch games via Windows Media Player. If any of them has a problem with that, shoot them and improve the gene pool at the same time.

I'm just *slightly* cranky this morning. :)

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Regardless what the results are, rioting should never be tolerated. I understand all about sports fanatics. I live twenty miles from Penn State University, and it gets crazy here when there is a home game. We can't allow ourselves to "understand" why they do it. We just need to stop them from doing it and hold people accountable for their actions.

I "understand" why people rioted in LA ten years ago. I still think every one of them should have been arrested.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Excellent point, Rred. We can understand why they riotted, but our understanding shouldn't give them carte blanche to do whatever the heck they want.

I do think, however, that our understanding the reasons should weigh in when considering punishment - and they should be punished. The owners of those cars had nothing to do with the win or loss of the football game, and they shouldn't have to accept the totle loss of their property because some frat boys got really drunk and roasted their cars. I think the colleges involved in this game should both receive some stiff penalties, the fraternities should receive some stiff penalties, and anyone who was caught and arrested should be expelled from school AND serve community service hours - perhaps a few thousand hours in the local hospital's burn ward will make them understand why fires are bad.

13. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

I didn't say it should be tolerated or that I even really understand why they did it. just that knowing the way kids are nowadays and how big a deal this game was, it didn't surprise me too much and it probably didn't surprise anybody else from this area either. that's all i was saying.

14. ethics

I took it in stride and certainly appreciate the inside situation and your post explanation as to what went on. For that, a big thank you and never think that my abbrassive style is in the bit, well, abbrassive personally. :)

Most of the folks here know me by now, many think I am the biggest asshole (I am!!! lol) but I never ever try to get personal with anyone...

Unless you throw cap limits on what I can and can not post. ;)

15. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

oh I didn't feel like I was being attacked or anything, just misunderstood. As a steward for the teamsters I am pretty much hated and attacked every day. It's no skin off my back, I just like to make sure I am hated for the right reasons :)