1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoor Ice Hockey FTW

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Jan 2, 2014.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Heh, didn't know you were interested in Hockey.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

On a MUCH smaller scale, I grew up around boys who played hockey on frozen ponds all the time. :)

ethics likes this.
  4. SixofNine

Probably better than average for the typical U.S. sports fan, but not much more than that. Growing up in the New York City TV market, I was able to watch tons of New York Rangers games on channel 9 (WOR), back when the stars were Jean Ratelle, Rod Gilbert, Harry Howell, Ed Giacomin, etc.

I certainly learn quite a bit watching the HBO series, such as how talented a player Datsyuk is.

5. ethics

Datsyuk is a machine. Smart guy on the ice to boot.

6. SixofNine

Narrated by Liev Schreiber, watch just the first 3 1/2 minutes of the opening episode. Godamn visual and spoken poetry, it is.

7. ethics

Yep, seen all of them. ;)

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

I grew up rooting for the Montreal Canadiens and booing the Toronto Maple Leafs! Think Pocket Rocket, Boom Boom, Gordie Howe of the Red Wings, and Mahavolich (sp?), in Toronto. Now that's dating myself in spades! ;)

9. ethics

I don't hate any of the Canadian teams. Not much rivalry built up.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

If it's still like it used to be, it's Canadians who are mostly playing on the American teams, plus Russians. Is it still like that?

11. ethics

It's mixed now. Canadians are now on Canadian AND US teams. There's some that are even playing in KHL (Russia's hockey league).