1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original or aftermarket chargers?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

With many of us trying to pinch pennies whenever possible, replacing a lost/damaged charger with an aftermarket one may be tempting. While $19 vs $3 dollars may not be a huge difference, the information in this blog will most likely apply towards other chargers as well. Some of those OEM chargers (especially for notebooks) could easily run over $100, making a cheaper alternative more attractive.

h/t Technology Hub

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I tried the counterfeit ones, not a good experience. It CAN fuck your device up but at bare minimum it doesn't charge as efficiently.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I do a lot of shopping on Amazon but they don't have high standards for what specs are. I have shopped for phone cases by the name of the phone and get many options that will be too small. So I never buy a case unless the specs list measurements. Same thing for device chargers. If it does not list amps I don't give it a second glance. If specs look good I start reading reviews.

ethics likes this.
  4. Biker

And to make things even more difficult.

More than 90% of ‘genuine’ Apple chargers & cables sold on Amazon are fake, says Apple

One would think Amazon would perform due diligence better than that.

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

UPDATE: Amazon spokesperson Aaron Toso responds:

“Amazon has zero tolerance for the sale of counterfeits on our site. We work closely with manufacturers and brands, and pursue wrongdoers aggressively.”

6. Biker

Alrighty then! :lolaway-5:

In other words, we got caught with our britches down and we're in CYA mode.

There are so many "counterfeits" being sold on Amazon it's ridiculous. Just about anything that could be considered OEM, you're going to find it counterfeited and sold on Amazon. Same with FleaBay.

7. ethics

I think you are missing the motivation behind Apple's "expose" here.

8. Biker

Oh, it's obvious why Apple is doing this. But it still doesn't relieve Amazon (especially when they're the primary seller) from doing a wee bit of checking to actually see if something is legitimately OEM equipment.

Lithium Ion batteries are another area where counterfeiting runs rampant. And in these cases, it's an extremely dangerous practice that can lead to some serious injuries.

ethics likes this.
  9. ethics

No, I agree. I think there's plenty of blame to go around and I think I will side with you. Dead tired of all the Chinese shit Amazon has been pandering and selling. And it is unadulterated shit that just beefs up the pockets of the Chinese.