1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Carry Gets Chicks A Police Date

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I can tell you right now I haven't fallen for those kinds of traps. And they HAVE tried to trap us.

And I know I'm usually being video taped.

But you don't see these uploaded onto Youtube. The rabble rousers only upload the worst reactions by law enforcement.

Right after 9-11, we launched a rail system here in Houston, and one of the things we were supposed to watch out for was people photographing mass transit. This got around to some of the leftwinger amateur photographers, who then sent a contingent down to our rail system and proceeded to light it up with cameras. I was summoned to the scene by one of my subordinates, where I spoke with the photo club ringleader. Asked for ID, he didn't want to provide it. They were recording us, of course, and I told them sure, they can snap pictures all day of our mass transit, while knowing full well we're trying to keep them safe, and if they didn't want to ID to us, they didn't have to. I then told the officers (in front of them) to follow them as they photographed the rail, then follow them back to their cars, get their license plates, so at least we had some kind of intel on who was photographing the rail.

They about shit a brick. I reminded them that our job was to protect the transit system, and wouldn't it just be easier if they would cooperate and ID themselves? They decided to ID themselves as opposed to us following them around, and maybe swinging by their houses and gathering intel there, and all manner of perfectly legal snooping we COULD do. I mean, we can't wiretap on something that weak, but we could shadow them all damned day if we wanted. I guess they decided that poking a sleeping dog isn't always the best tactic.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I don't see any problem in the police asking for ID in these circumstances, and certainly in the video, when someone shows up wearing a firearm that elicits a call to the cops. And then the whole Second Amendment sermon...son, save it for Piers Morgan, all right?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I view circumstances like this in the same light as the LGBT crowd getting all up in your face with some of their protests. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about furthering your cause. Getting all up in your face is the wrong way.

5. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Man, you want to see fireworks? go to any gun forum and ask "Open vs Concealed," and stand back. It just gets downright ugly.And stupid.

There's some in the OC camp that are confrontational, but there are also some who just want to carry without having to worry about covering it, and they're not evangelical about it. The basic argument seems to come down to the deterrent factor of seeing the gun. DOes it really deter someone, or does it make you the first target.

I say "Meh." I wish the sheep would get more accustomed to the idea of a gun in a holster, so they're not calling the cops every time. And when I carry, I carry concealed. I've got more important things to talk to people about, in the overall scheme of things.

6. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Where I am right now, (were I to get a gun) if I want to carry I have to do it open since I don't have a license since that takes time and money. So many people OC because they can't legally conceal. Also, I think it was last week where a guy was awarded $25K for being detained while carrying in Philadelphia.
    I personally wouldn't OC unless I wanted to annoy the liberals in my area. Then again, it's all talk, once I do get a gun, I doubt I'd carry at all since I don't think I would actually be able to use it.