1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One more time.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Dec 26, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

In today's news we have the arrest of a priest in New Britain, Connecticut (who in all fairness was visiting in Poland). What did he do? He has been charged with "fondling a 17-year-old girl who he had been counseling about a previous sexual assault".

First of all, has this guy been living in a cave recently? Wasn't he aware that sexual assault might not be the best hobby to acquire at this time? I won't even comment on the $500,000 bail he received.

I'm not even sure if "groping" should be an offense someone should be jailed for.

2. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

OK. Since you won't comment on the $500,000 bail, I will... According the the article, he was counseling a girl who had been previously sexually assaulted. She trusted him, and apparently he violated that trust. According to the article, he even admitted to doing it.

So why is he being held on $500,000 bail at all? He should remain locked up without bail, and should then serve his time after being found guilty (assuming his lawyers are not successful in lying, cheating, and deceiving a jury into believing he did not do what he admitted).

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Groping as an offense certainly must be considered in the context. On a subway or a street to have somebody feel my genitals or my wife's breasts is assault, pure and simple. On a date while making out for a man to try to touch a woman's breasts should not be criminal unless he persists after being told no. Signals about what it is okay to do and what not to do are not always clear and a man or a woman should not be jailed for misreading the signals. I don't think any of us want to require a question be asked and answered before foreplay can commence.

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I'm sure God has forgiven this man already. Who are we to sit in judgement of his conduct?

Set this man free so he can continue to preach the word of God...and sneak in a cheap feel on occasion.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Ok, I have a few comments on the direction this discussion has taken.

First, I think $500,000 bail is a joke. Where the heck is a Polish priest going to run. His whole life is the Catholic Church and if the church wants him out it is just a formality for them to pledge the money.

Secondly, we are all pretty damn sure he did something pretty bad if we are willing to lock him away in prison for this.

In other words, if some drunken guy grabs my wife (or me for that matter) would I reasonably expect the police to rush right over and arrest the guy? Please, try that phone call sometime. And, I don't honestly think they would slap a half million-dollar bail on the guy either.

Have we over-reacted here? Don't get me wrong, I am not for allowing priests or anyone else to go around groping people. However, it does concern me that serious criminals get lessor bail amount for what I would consider to be more serious crimes.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The priest did not just grope some lovely thing on the street. He groped someone coming to him for aid in recovered from a sexual attack. Quite a difference.

7. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Agreed Ken but with the recent publicity priests have been getting I do not find the bail high at all.

500K is nothing to the Vatican now is it?

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Trivial Pursuit time.

Who owns more real estate than any person/business/organization in the world?

You guessed it...the Catholic Church.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Now with this update, the story makes a little more sense.
    The world just seems to be getting crazier all the time.

10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Can you imagine how hard it must be for someone to come out and talk about being molested by a priest no less?? This poor girl. It's not bad enough that she was sexually assaulted and was turning to the church for help, but then the ultimate slap in the face. To be assaulted once again by someone who was sent to help you??? Oh I don't think this man should have been offered any bail at all and even if it was just groping, he's not supposed to be doing that at all in his position! What would happen if a police officer groped some 17 year old girl??? A teacher??? I don't care if it's jost someone walking past me and they cop a feel...I'm gonna get freaked out and possibly very violent on their butt.

You're right call a cop and see what they say with some instances of groping. They will tell you that it might not be worth the trouble to file a complaint. I don't even think there's anything they can charge them with, other then simple assault, that is along the lines of a sexual violation (even though it clearly is).

I have a friend who was out with some friends one night over the summer. She went home with 2 people and let them sleep on her couches because they were too drunk to go right home. The one guy came into her bedroom and tried to get her to have sex and got a little bit too pushy with her. When she called the cops they came and they told her to come to the station the next day to file a complaint. They are still trying to figure out what to charge this guy with!!! This was months ago that it happened!!! They can't charge with sexual assault unless there's a sex act involved. There's the his word against hers thing going on and it looks like it's going to be a sexual harrassment charge. They decided that that charge would be the best to charge him with 2 weeks ago...but they have yet to charge him. It's so unfair :cry:

11. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

well, i guess we'll have to wait and find out the full story.... first they said it was groping and he admitted it. Now the link here has a story that would not be groping at all, but rape.
    And on the 7:00 news on TV, the story was that he had been seeing her and that they had consentual sex. So, I guess the whole story isn't out yet. We'll see....