1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On My Resignation of Membership

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Techie2000, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

Actually it's not. I've discussed this privately with several members and they have agreed with my comments to varying degrees. (I don't want to put words in their mouths, they can comment in the forum if they want to make their statements public.) In any case I have no right to quote private conversations.

No, it isn't just me.

2. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Firstly, I think a decline, if there is any, is cyclical. I participate on another forum and these things come and go.
    Secondly, I don't think we are all of one voice and I don't think people who have dissenting voices are kicked out. It's like a re-run of Boston Legal I just saw, a lady was fired for voting for McCain, even though the boss also voted for her. His reason was that she voted for him because of Palin but couldn't name one policy reason for voting for McCain. If you have a dissenting opinion, then dissent, just be prepared to defend it with logic or reason.
    This sites tolerates dissent, it doesn't tolerate pompous ass-holes telling everyone else how to think.

1 person likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's it right there in an awesome summary.

4. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

And you didn't even correct my spelling mistake. See how tolerant we are?

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

No we aren't all of one voice. If thus then we would have nothing to discuss. If dissenters were kicked out then I would have been kicked out, gone, long ago. There isn't any forum if there is no dissent.

For the record, my "several members" that I mentioned earlier was more than three, less than seven. Just to clarify.

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Then if "several members" feel the way you do, they should seize the initiative and speak out here and now, as opposed to hiding behind someone else's skirts.

It's humorous to me to witness yet another round of hand-wringing brought on by the departure of Joe and Techie, neither of which were here to debate all that much, merely to indoctrinate and, at the end of the day, be venerated by their new disciples.

Shame it didn't work out for them.

We have enough differences of opinion here without folks from either fringe rolling in hot and stirring up the pot. I disagree with ethics almost daily, but at least I have a pillow to go home and bite, whereas he has only an uninflated Ken doll he's too lazy to blow up. I don't need people from the far left instructing me on how to think or what sacrifices I should make when they have the comparative life experience of a fruit fly and have never been in a position to make the final sacrifice any more than I need people from the far right swooping in to save my soul from eternal damnation when I've already been baptized. Folks like this tend to flame out and spend several weeks or months writing in agitation before they finally pull the pin, thinking they're making a grand stand that others will follow, but instead all that happens is the remainders breathe a sigh of relief.

If you feel the forum is problematic for you, Greg, then really... why come back? Life's too short to spend it as a nattering nabob on the internet, anyway.

SM

1 person likes this.
  7. Greg

Greg Full Member

Hahahaha! The forum is not a problem for me. I just spend an amount of time at this forum proportionate to the satisfaction and entertainment that I get from it. That's why I haven't spent much time active on this forum during the last few months. If it gets interesting in the future then I'll become more active, if it doesn't then I'll continue on at a very low activity level. I don't understand why Joe and Matt found it necessary to make their departures permanent. If the forum gets better in the future then they're stuck never being able to resume participation. The way I'm dealing with my disappointment in the forum is to just adjust my participation level accordingly, and if the forum improves in the future then I can always increase my activity. There won't be any drama from me, no flaming out, no pulling the pin. IMO that stuff is silly. People who don't like the forum should just quit posting and spare us the drama.

It's not up to me whether "several" members speak out or not. I must respect the confidence of their private communications. Maybe they'll speak out, maybe not. That's all on them whatever they decide to say or do.

8. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Can't we talk about something else? This is getting boring.

I agree that the traffic in this forum has gone down, but a few still like hanging around here, and, so long as at least two people like the place, then the place has a reason to keep going.

Now, about UFO's ...

9. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Wow, lol. I remember back when Techie was a little kid and so enamored of Leon. He wanted to be just like him! :rofl:
    *sigh* And then he grew up. And he thinks who he is. Good for him, have a good life, you can go your own way.

As for Joseftu? I think he'll be back at Christmas. He can't resist it. :rofl:

10. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

What has dropped off is the bickering, finger pointing, name calling. Telling, isn't it?

LOL, Stanley, you crack me up.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

That is so not going to happen.

I'm wondering if an ex-member would even be permitted back after invoking rule #12, not that it would make any practical difference.

12. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

SM,

"at least I have a pillow to go home and bite, whereas he has only an uninflated Ken doll he's too lazy to blow up."

OUCH!

(sorry for intruding, I will leave quietly now)

13. ethics

No. It's why the rule is there. We are all adults not a bunch of drama queens. I am putting my foot down.

14. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Riiiiiiiight. Where have I heard THAT before?  :whistle:

15. ethics

Not kidding this time.

16. Greg

Greg Full Member

Well I kind of expected that but I didn't want to put words in your mouth. I'm not so sure there needs to be such a rule, but people need to not be such drama queens, and sometimes you just have to draw the line and say "no drama queening here, hit the road and don't come back if you don't like it." We're all adults (well most of us) and it is only reasonable to expect adults to behave like adults instead of acting out like drama queens.

I've sometimes been critical of the forum. When I feel that way I just do something else while I cool off. It's too bad that those who invoked the rule didn't just go cool off somewhere.

I'm not bashing anybody who left. I just wish they'd handled it differently. I'll miss most of them.

17. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I was kidding.. we all know I was kidding and what I was refering to.
    Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree.. :rofl:

18. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

I for one have to say that I am saddened by the loss of two longtime members of this forum. I lean a little to the left and felt that those two put a good balance to this site.

19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Fair enough Leon, I don't disagree. But just the same, I think having this rule allows anyone who is keen on making a dramatic splash when they leave, to do so. The alternative is just to fade away and stop posting.

And I'm not implying Techie or Joe were necessarily wanting to create any drama by leaving. Maybe they were, I don't know.

20. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If someone really wanted to leave without being a frigging drama queen, they'd just leave. Rule or not, there's nothing that states one MUST post if they're going to quit. However, if one has a need to go out in a blaze of glory, feel free to do so. I have no issue at all with logging into the server and making an adjustment or two to ensure it doesn't happen again.